cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP not charging battery w/USB-C and PD

JTTraverse
Contributor

I've recently acquired an EOS RP and have been trying to charge the battery using the USB-C port (mainly just to be sure I could do it in an emergency). I purchased a new braided Belkin USB-C to USB-C cable specifically for this, and today purchased an ONN dual-port wall charger that states "20W USB-C port fast charges with Power Delivery". Comparing it to other chargers with the same specs I presumed it should work. So I thought I was good to go with the power delivery requirement, etc.

Unfortunately, with the camera plugged in the green light on the back right that indicates it's charging never comes on. Does anyone have an idea what I might be missing. (Fwiw, the battery I'm testing with probably isn't completely dead at the moment if it needs to be for this to work.)
Thanks..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JTTraverse
Contributor

To resolve my own post/question: I've determined that you definitely need a specific kind of USB-C cable. I don't mean it must be a specific brand, but simply that even if the statements on the packaging suggest that it's a cable for 'power delivery'--there is a difference somewhere inside the various cables being sold out there.

I took the camera and the wall charger I'd purchased to a local store (Best Buy) so I could test cables on the spot. The clerk must have known what he was doing because he picked out one of their in-house 'Insignia' brands and it worked immediately! The only specific thing I see on the box is that while at first glance it looks like merely a USB-C to USB-C cable, it states 'Braided Charging Cable' in the top corner and in the small print on the back states 'USB-C cable transfers files and charges'.

So apparently there is something about charging that is built into some cables that is not in typical USB-C cables. (In my case the 4' cable I purchased is labeled on the bottom: 21K26T and NS-MCC421C)
What a relief...

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome

The camera should come with its own charging cable. Do you not have that?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Based on what I'm seeing on Canon's site, it does not come with a USB cable.  There's an external AC battery charger, with an AC cable.

https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-rp/

Must be different in NZ. Seems a bit tacky to me not to include the cable!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

I have an R5, not an RP, and the R5 is way more power-hungry.  So this may not apply... but it might give you some ideas.

I got USB powering working but it was a hassle.  What got me going was:

• Use a USB cable which is specifically rated for PD at the power you need
  • Likewise a power supply which is specifically rated for PD at the given power
  • I've read that you need 30 watts

Even then, I've had issues.  I have a RavPower brick, rated for PD at 30W, and I've had it not work.  Tried it again just now and it works... I wonder if there's a bug in its (the power brick's) PD implementation.  I also have a 60W Anker brick which works fine.

So, like I said, maybe that gives you some ideas... I kind of feel that with PD, you have to persevere a little.  It shouldn't be that way, but there you go.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Adding to the above.  My camera requires a 3A input on its USB-C port.  I suspect the RP might also.  (not sure).  The good thing about PD is the camera will only take what it needs, so going with a few more watts can be a good thing.    

Canon does not post the specs / requirements for their cameras.  I purchased the one below.  $36 today, but it was $20 2 days ago.  Watch for a coupon.  Its small, much smaller that the Anker Power Core (which is heavy, fairly large and $179) for their premium model.  The Anker provides about 6 hrs runtime.  The one below about 3.5. It will likely power the RP longer.  It will fit in a shirt pocket. I like it because it has a % display.   

This one will charge the battery, run the camera and allow battery swaps...  I've also used a MacBook charger and a Lenovo laptop charger when AC is available.   There is typically more than one solution available.  Anker seems to have the biggest selection in this type of PD.  

shadowsports_0-1655272984426.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hey,

Just in an attempt to clarify:

Adding to the above.  My camera requires a 3A input on its USB-C port.

This is a bit suspect: if the camera needs PD, then it needs PD.  The number of volts and amps is beside the point.  It will need a certain number of watts; I think the R5C can run with a 30W PD supply.  But it must be PD.  PD is a data protocol that the devices use to negotiate how power will be delivered, before it actually gets turned on.

The good thing about PD is the camera will only take what it needs, so going with a few more watts can be a good thing.   

This is always true.  There is no way a power supply (any kind) can force more power into a device than it wants, other than by cranking up the voltage, which would set it on fire.  In practice electricity is always by demand: the power supply provides a set voltage (which in PD is something that gets negotiated), then the device draws what it needs.  The PD negotiation includes the maximum power the supply can provide, but that's only a maximum.

If you put an ammeter on an R5, for example, while it's running, you will see the current going up and down as it changes what it's doing.  This is not a PD thing, it's just how electricity works.

JTTraverse
Contributor

I appreciate all the discussion since it helps me verify some of what I have. Whether or not the power delivery requirement is 3amps, the wall charger I purchased was advertised as a PD unit and does put out 5V / 3amps or 9V / 2.22amps on the USB-C port. So presumably that's enough power to do the job...presumably.

In my case the camera did not come with a USB-C cable. I tried one that I had on hand and then bought the new one which, from reading the box, looked like it was made for this. But so far the camera still doesn't charge (no green light). So, now I'm wondering if Canon built this camera to require some unique USB-C cable to charge...which would be seriously disappointing if so (but I've seen a company do that before to force you to buy their cable..grrr.)

Hi, So I know this is a bit of an arcane art, and I certainly understand how it's all a bit foggy to non-techie people.  But, again, the number of volts and amps is beside the point.  What you need is PD, and -- I think, though it's hard to confirm this -- you need 30 Watts.  A.k.a. 30W.

Having said that, Watts = Volts × Amps, so, if your unit can do 9V at 2.2A, that's 9 × 2.2 = 19.8 Watts.  So, not 30, so quite possibly not enough.

There shouldn't be any such thing as a "unique USB-C cable"... but there are certainly different cables, and some are buggy.  You should just need a USB-C cable which is specifically rated for PD at at least 30W.

Canon used to supply cameras with battery chargers plus cables to connect to display devices and even to connect via USB to a computer. Considering one cable can essentially do all that, for the minimal cost but massive confusion it generates they need to include with a camera the correct USB C cable and save a lot of frustration!

I checked and the supply of the cable is a decision by the NZ supplier - that's called smart customer service...

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements