cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP Overblown exposure on windows

CanonGrl214
Apprentice

Hi! I recently purchased the canon EOS RP to film indoor videos but I am having issues where rooms there are windows. Basically, I can't properly expose a room without the windows being overblown and mostly white. I understand I have to experiment with the exposure triangle, but I can't seem to find the right balance— And here's the frustrating thing: this isn't the case on my iphone. I can take the same shot with my phone and by clicking/focusing the exposure box on both the indoor and the window it balances out the exposure pretty well. Is the canon camera unable to achieve this same effect, especially as easily as I can do it on the phone? 

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite

Cameras cannot capture the entire dynamic range in high dynamic range scenes like that.

If a window must be within the shot, two potentials...

1. Add additional lighting to really brigthen the interior.  So that the difference between interior and exterior is not as high.
  2. Use a scrim outside the window with a net or double-net.  Or if the window is small enough, potentially a sheet of ND gel.
--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see you were shooting video. What I offered wasn't correct.

Newton

For photos, AEB would be a good solution, but the OP will be doing video work.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

"but the OP will be doing video work."

Thanks! That went right over my head 😀 ... *I tried to delete, but couldn't*

Newton

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Your phone is lying to you. It is a nice lie, but it is doing a lot of behind the scenes calculations to squeeze the windows and the room into a single 8 bit file.

The camera won't do that unless you tell it to, did you try HDR movie?

hdr1.jpghdr2.jpg

click here to view the gallery
Announcements