cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Lack of Sharpness

RobRich
Contributor

I am a novice but I notice my 6D images aren’t as sharp as my old EOS Rebel XSi. I’ve tried different lenses, tripods, etc. the image in the view finder even looks sharper to me. Has anyone noticed this before?Rebel xsiRebel xsi6d6d

17 REPLIES 17

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If you'd like us to evaluate your images, please post a link with RAW files uploaded to a sharing service such as OneDrive, DropBox, Google Drive, etc.  We'd be happy to take a look.

Thanks in advance.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I am only shooting in JPEG mode. Here is a link to 2 photos. https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/2eqh42ro1lb60thod6lkq/h?rlkey=nkufmnh73tmplwvk8uvlz1y0n&dl=0

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What lens are you using?

Did you have any adjustments (e.g. added sharpness) being done on the Rebel XSi? Do you have those same adjustments on the EOS 6D?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I will have to look at my settings. I don't think I have any additional settings on either camera that would affect sharpness. As mentioned (not sure if it's my imagination) but the focus on the Rebel seems more exact when shooting the picture. The lens grabs the subject and it looks sharp in the view finder. The 6D doesn't have the same feeling. I thought I needed to adjust the viewfinder dioptrics but that didn't help.

What lens?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

On the 6D I was using a 70-300 EF lens. On Rebel I was using a 55-250 EF-S

I took some more shots using a 70-300 EF L lens now it looks pretty similar to my eyes.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/2eqh42ro1lb60thod6lkq/h?rlkey=nkufmnh73tmplwvk8uvlz1y0n&dl=0

I used a better lens on the 6D now and used RAW on both cameras

justadude
Rising Star

I noticed these are both JPEG images here.  If you are shooting in JPEG mode instead of RAW, that could be part of the problem.  Different processors in each camera could slightly change JPEG output.  In addition, the two images here look like slight different edits as well.  The first image has more punch to the colors and detail (clarity), the second image looks like the saturation is a bit lower, as well as the clarity... and the black and whites look a bit "washed" or "clipped".

Have you tried this type of comparison in RAW mode and unedited files?  The 6D with a good lens should produce very sharp images.  My 6D always did, so what you are seeing isn't something wrong with the camera model itself.

I agree with Rick - let us see a comparison with unedited RAW files, please.

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

I will do some raw files. Not sure if the old Rebel can do anything but jpeg. Thanks.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements