cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R8 Custom functions as default for HDR

Eaglesnest
Enthusiast

I like to have C1 function as my default HDR shots. The manual is not clear how to do it. Please help.

15 REPLIES 15

I agree, see my response to you.  I have been trying instead to get AEB to work, and it will, in my experiments, providing everything the OP wants, EXCEPT if he is shooting in M mode, but it works for Av, Tv etc. when the settings are saved to C1 or C2 - if M is current when saving the settings, it will save the Exposure compensation value, but not the AEB parameters.

It's not easy researching all these things for another camera body and I am furiously moving between resources to cross-check, but  AEB is the best bet, but not in M mode.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Eaglesnest wrote:

Thank you for all the step by step guide.

However, it doesn't solve my issue. All I want is bracketing the exposures (2F stops under and over, thus 3 shots all together) and save it to C1`. Thus the next time I want to shoot HDR is simply set me selection to C1.

I hope I make myself clear

Perfectly clear. However, I don't think HDR can be added to the custom control (C1 - C2). Admittedly, I don't have the R8, but it won't apply to the C settings on my R5, R6, or R6 II no matter how I attack it.

Newton

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I think there may be a challenge of terminology here.  I have ploughed through the menu system of the R8 and searched on-line for HDR customization and setting, and any suggestion that they can be assigned to the custom menu. and Newton is strictly correct, I believe.
However, I think what the OP is seeking is not HDR, but AEB which can be customized, and saved to a C1 or C2 setting - I just did it on my R5 and it should work on the R8.  The intention of the two would be similar, but AEB gives much more control over the process, from what I can see.

So, can I suggest that you go to the red tab, 2nd page and  turn off HDR if you have it set, and go up the menu in the same screen to configure and customize the settings for exposure/AEB and make the changes within that which you want to configure.
Then go to the Wrench screen, Page 5 and Save the current configuration to C1 or C2.  If you don't want auto updating (best not at first) then make sure that option is off.
Turn the camera off.
Turn it back on, and make sure you are in the C mode you saved to. 
Check the settings in the menu Red Tab page 2 and check to see if the AEB is retained.
Then change the mode dial to Av or M
Check the Red Tab again, it should be back at the default settings with no AEB.
Turn the mode dial to C1 again and recheck, it should be back in AEB.
You should be able to change SS, aperture and ISO but still retain the bracketing
Can you please let me know if how that works out for you?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor, I think you are correct. I will leave my post up until we are all on the same page - HDR or just AEB.

Newton

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Can I also ask what mode you want to be shooting in when you have AEB or HDR turned on?

The instructions I listed work in Av, Tv etc. but you will get exposure compensation recorded to the C buttons,  but not AEB in Manual mode specifically,  and maybe that is what we are all working around.

cheers, TREVOR

Looks like I got it now. But I will test tomorrow during the day.

I will keep you posted.

Thank you so much for the responses, much appreciated.

** to set up the same feature was so easy on my old 6D**

click here to view the gallery
Announcements