cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R8 Custom functions as default for HDR

Eaglesnest
Enthusiast

I like to have C1 function as my default HDR shots. The manual is not clear how to do it. Please help.

15 REPLIES 15

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

For what camera?

Sorry. R8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Set up the camera the way you want it and select the Custom Settings Registration mode:

Untitled.jpg

Then select the one you want to set:

Untitled.jpg

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Kv makes a very good point.  It helps a lot to know what model we are dealing with.  Looking at your previous posts, I would assume you are using the R8.

That said:  generally speaking this is how I would do it.  I am referring to the R8 Advanced User Guide, which is what you should be using.

Turn the Mode Dial to C1 (or C2),
Make whatever customizations  you want to the camera.
In the 5th Page of the Wrench menu, select Custom Shooting Mode
In that page select to save settings to Custom mode

There are two options here.  One is to have the mode update automatically while in that C mode, the other will not.  Thus, if you make changes while in C1 (for example) they would not be automatically saved as the default for that mode and when you next  use it, it will revert what was manually saved.  If you choose automatic, it will save any new settings when you make changes.
This video may help:

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Eaglesnest
Enthusiast

Thank you for all the step by step guide.

However, it doesn't solve my issue. All I want is bracketing the exposures (2F stops under and over, thus 3 shots all together) and save it to C1`. Thus the next time I want to shoot HDR is simply set me selection to C1.

I hope I make myself clear

To be honest, I'm a bit confused.  Can you say specifically what is not working for you with the info you have received so far please?  

I have found a video for assigning AEB to a custom button, I hope this is more helpful: while some of the menu selections might be different from your R8, they can be found in your Advanced User Guide as mentioned, still the principle is there.
How to Register AEB on EOS R as a Custom Mode - YouTube

Once C1 is recorded, and then recalled by dialing it, all of the settings will apply from condition of recording a C1 setting will be kept, but there is nothing to prevent one from changing any of them from that point for the specific instance of a shot.  If you know you want to use AEB, then first switch to C1 first, then adjust your camera's other settings as you would normally do.

If that is not working for you, are you looking to assign the exposure bracketing feature alone to a button?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

It's not that it doesn't work. Basically after I registered the setting, how can I input and save the settings, such as ISO, Shutter speed, Aperture?

If you want to change the settings specifically for a particular shot, then go to C1 first, and autobracketing will be enabled, then you just change any other settings as you normally would. 

If you want them to be automatically updated each time to that C1 function, in the menu for custom settings you select Auto Update.  Then when you select C1 they will be the default settings, at which point you can change any of them as you would normally

If you want to preconfigure the settings like ISO, aperture and Ss, then apply them to the camera before saving to the C1 mode. 

cheers, TREVOR

Trevor, this is what I get regardless of which way I approach it. These shots are from the R5, but it's the same on all of the R's I own (I just tested all to be sure). Not sure if it's a difference in f/w in the U.S. or what, but mine will not allow HDR to be assigned to C functions.

It's grayed out with HDR enabled.

C1-C3 HDR Error-1a.JPG

If you select it, this is the message. 

C1-C3 HDR Error-2a.JPG

Newton

click here to view the gallery
Announcements