cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 USB Charging of LP-E6NH Battery via Powerbank

Jon777
Apprentice

I am trying the charge my battery using a powerbank through the USBC port of the EOS R7 Mirroless camera. I plug the USB-C cord into the camera and the other end into the powerbank with the camera off. The battery won't charge. I also tried plugging the USB cord into a USB charger and it still won't charge with the camera off. 

What is the likely problem and what are steps I can take to charge my battery with a powerbank. I am taking the camera on a backpacking trek and don't want the extra weight of the Canon charger; I would like to use a powerbank for all of my electronic needs.

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please provide the make and model of the power bank and USB cord.  There are minimum wattage and voltage requirements, as well as using the correct cable type.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

You need a charger AND cable which BOTH support USB Power Delivery.  Please note that you specifically need Power Delivery; don't let anyone tell you it's about volts and amps.  Power Delivery is a specific message protocol, and if your charger doesn't support it, your camera won't charge.

This is true whether your charger is a mains charger or a battery pack.  Most USB chargers do NOT have Power Delivery.

Once you understand PD, there is also a minimum power requirement.  I don't know what that is for the R7, but I would think with a 30W charger AND a cable capable of 30W, you should be OK.

I would post you a link to the power bank I use, but sadly it doesn't seem to be there any more.  In any case, look for PD and 30 Watts or more, and you should be OK.

BrianDavies
Enthusiast

Are you using the LP-E6NH battery which came with the camera or an older LP-E6 or LP-E6N battery? The latter two do not support in-camera charging. 
I am using the LP-E6NH batteries and they charge fine in my R7, whether by my relatively cheap power bank, a USB charger or my laptop's USB-C port.

Announcements