cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 Menus Do No Match Online Manual

Alwelch1
Apprentice

Hi everyone, 

Posting this question on behalf of a student of mine. 

His camera (EOS R7) menus for both still and video modes do not match with the current online user's manual. An example would be his screen options are similar but not identical, he is missing features such as auto sound recording and enhanced digital IS, ect. 

Initially I thought it was a firmware issue, and it turned out he was running 1.3.1. However, after instructing him to update to the 1.4.0, nothing seemed to change. The interesting part is that I know for certain his current firmware is 1.4.0., he's showed me the camera and I've verified. 

Also of note is that my online manual appears to be identical to other users of the same camera; meaning it appears to be an issue with his camera. 

It appears that even though his camera is updated the menus are still different. The problem remains with and without lenses attached.

Any ideas on how to remedy this problem? 

Thanks so much for any help.

-Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That is absolutely true.  The menus for M, AV and TV are far more extensive than those for the more automatic ones - see the manual on P85.

Tronhard_0-1714283416108.png

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Adam,

Welcome.  Is he referencing a printed manual or online manual? 

Online is here:

Canon : Product Manual : EOS R7 (start.canon)

Next.  What shooting mode is the camera set to?  Some menu option can change or not appear depending on the mode selected.

In case he has made some "creative" setting changes to his camera, it might be wise to reset the camera's settings to defaults.

Last, can you please provide 1 or 2 specific examples for us to compare?  "Auto Sound Recording" and "Digital IS"

shadowsports_0-1713914620546.png

shadowsports_1-1713914682314.png

We'll be happy to take a look for you.  😃

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick, 

Thanks so much for the welcome and also for such a quick response! 

Yes, the online manual you listed is the same as the one I am using as a reference for the student. It seems to match exactly to all examples of other people's menu layouts I've encountered online but not to the student's camera. 

I pulled those examples of the sound and digital IS off the top of my head based on the differences the student had presented to me. To expound a bit more on those specifically, I've include a couple of screenshots from the online manual with explanations for each: 

SoundRecording.png

In the example above from the online manual, the student has stated that he only has the option to turn the audio recording "on or off." No additional features shown like the wind filter or audio noise reduction, and not an option for "Auto" sound recording. 

For the next example (Digital IS) the student does not have the option at all, where as in the manual it has the option for On/Off/Enhance. Essentially, the student does not have this menu. 

DigitalIS.png

Also of note is that while in movie mode (on/off switched to "movie") the menu on the student's camera only shows 4 top options (numerically) when viewing the first list and the manual shows 7, and when in still shooting mode the student has only 6 options numerically where the manual shows 10...if that's not enough of a word salad already, let me just say that in the example below the numbers at the top of the student's camera only go to 4, not 7, and there are no icons past the wrench.

ShutterButtonMovie.png

I can also add that the student's camera has no menu for lens aberration correction in both still and movie mode. I felt this was strange as they are using native Canon RF lenses. To that end, the problem presents regardless of whether or not a lens is attached. 

I like your thinking of if all else fails just go to factory default. I've actually relayed this to the student and in the interim since my original post I've suggested that they try switching the mode dial to different settings as I learned that some options aren't available while in full auto mode. I also suggested that they check the Connect app to see if it also shows the firmware was updated, and then try to update the firmware again regardless. I haven't heard back from the student yet to see if any of this has fixed the problem. 

Thanks again for your help, Rick. I'm sorry I don't have his camera in hand for the troubleshoot as I'm doing all this remotely. 

-Adam

Alwelch1
Apprentice

Hi again everyone, 

I haven't confirmed it with my student yet but it is highly possible that the mode dial was the issue. It appears that only certain menus are available when in Basic modes. Once I've heard back from the student I'll let you know.

-Adam

That is absolutely true.  The menus for M, AV and TV are far more extensive than those for the more automatic ones - see the manual on P85.

Tronhard_0-1714283416108.png

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Alwelch1
Apprentice

Just letting everyone know the issue seems to have been resolved. Thanks again to for the help, folks!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements