cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 Firmware Update Failing

NYSW3636
Apprentice

Hi - 

Brand new R7, went to update the firmware. Tried with a card, kept getting an error saying the file wasn't on the card. Tried the Utility from the PC, it tried to upload the update. On the camera, opening the firmware update in the settings shows "Update Firmware? 1.1.0 -> 1.2.0 EOSR7120.FIR" and freezes. Camera resumes normal operation when I replace the battery. Any suggestions to get it to update the firmware?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Okay, a little bit embarrassing, but I found the problem: I forgot to check "low level format" when formatting the card before the update.. after I did this, it worked just fine.

Maybe this helps somebody else. 🙂 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

If all else fails, download a fresh copy of the firmware from the Canon support site and try again.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

We've got 3 different people posting to the same topic.  For clarity, please start a new thread (your own) if you are having a issue updating your firmware.  Today we have reports from 2 users who have indicated a problem updating the firmware on their R7 to v 1.3.0.

We need visibility to help determine if the problem is with the update process or the download.  

Thanks in advance.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

niimantse7
Contributor

I started my own thread but there has been no response yet. My firmware update on the R keeps stopping at 81% with the error message “update file error. Check the memory card and reload the battery and try again”

Tried it countless times but still not working 

@niimantse7 wrote:

I started my own thread but there has been no response yet. My firmware update on the R keeps stopping at 81% with the error message “update file error. Check the memory card and reload the battery and try again”

Tried it countless times but still not working 

I've replied to your topic:

EOS R Firmware update error - Canon Community

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements