cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 EVF Concerns about Effect on Vision

lovetoshoot2023
Contributor

Hi,

I'm currently shooting with a DSLR. One of my concerns about entering the mirrorless world is the effect that the EVF has on my vision. Can anyone share their experiences with making the transition? Do you know of any studies that have been done on the subject?  I'd like to move into the mirrorless world but have reservations. I'm currently considering the purchase of an R7.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

There's a huge difference between looking through optics vs at a screen.  Some individuals can be very sensitive to certain refresh rates and may have additional challenges.

Rick's mention of the higher refresh rate (120 Hz) should eliminate or at least vastly reduce any sensitivity.

Don't know of any formal studies offhand myself though regarding EVFs.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

And some of us would be looking at an EVF almost constantly for several hours shooting sports.  It does make a difference for those of us shooting sports with both eyes open.  Apple discussed this type of issue a bit during their VR goggle intro where mixed reality plus virtual can lead to nausea and other undesired effects.

I have a small mirrorless for travel but I am not ready to make the switch for sports photography.  Nothing Canon has out at this point even slightly tempts me to stray from my ultra reliable 1DX III bodies for sports photography.

Photography is not a one size fits all pursuit; what is the perfect setup for my use is far from optimal for others.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The only reservations you would have needed to have is if you were buying an EOS R.  After that EVF's have just continued to improve.  The refresh rate on the R7 is 120 Hz.  Double what the EOS R had.  Its plenty smooth, bright and you see what the sensor is outputting.  Its lets you see the effects of exposure compensation.  It also compensates for low light giving you a clear view instead of relying on what's being reflected in low ambient light.

Viewfinder vs LCD Display - Canon Europe (canon-europe.com)

I'm sure you can google for more info.  It took me all of about 15 min to acclimate.  😀  No regrets at all.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

John_SD
Whiz

"One of my concerns about entering the mirrorless world is the effect that the EVF has on my vision."

I am not an ophthamologist or neurologist, so I cannot speak from a medical standpoint regarding the effect an EVF would have on your vision. But I can speak from the standpoint of one who uses a camera (EOS RP) with an EVF and I can tell you that for me personally, there is no going back. The DSLR had a great ride, but its time is past. I think that once you move to mirrorless, you will feel the same way. And no, you don't have to spend $50,000 on gear to get a great image. Prior to my move to mirrorless, the EVF was one of the things I was concerned about, in terms of getting used to it. I adapted very quickly and don't miss the OVF at all. YMMV. 

ctitanic
Enthusiast

Unless you are spending 24 per day looking at your view finder I do not see how that can be harmful to your eyes.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R7, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF18-150, RF50.
Flickr

There's a huge difference between looking through optics vs at a screen.  Some individuals can be very sensitive to certain refresh rates and may have additional challenges.

Rick's mention of the higher refresh rate (120 Hz) should eliminate or at least vastly reduce any sensitivity.

Don't know of any formal studies offhand myself though regarding EVFs.

--
Ricky

And some of us would be looking at an EVF almost constantly for several hours shooting sports.  It does make a difference for those of us shooting sports with both eyes open.  Apple discussed this type of issue a bit during their VR goggle intro where mixed reality plus virtual can lead to nausea and other undesired effects.

I have a small mirrorless for travel but I am not ready to make the switch for sports photography.  Nothing Canon has out at this point even slightly tempts me to stray from my ultra reliable 1DX III bodies for sports photography.

Photography is not a one size fits all pursuit; what is the perfect setup for my use is far from optimal for others.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ctitanic
Enthusiast

I really doubt that using the viewfinder for few minutes will cause any effects. 

Frank
Flickr

You don't know that and should not generalize things.  Not helpful.   Let's hear back from the original poster if their specific concerns were regarding sensitivty to refresh rates.  Which hopefully is not an issue with the 120 Hz refresh.

--
Ricky

Well after shooting mirrorless cameras for more than 5 years never have noticed any side effects. 

Frank
Flickr

Thanks for your comment.

Denny

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements