cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 Dark borders around background objects

HonzaFnoucek
Apprentice

Hi, I am an amateur wildlife photographer, quite new to the field, I use the R7 body and RF 100-400 lens.

I have been noticing weird dark borders around background objects on some of my photos for a while and I just cannot figure out what they are.

Would someone be able to help? What is it? How is it caused? Can I somehow get rid of it, either in post-processing or at least prevent it from happening again?

On the provided example, what I mean are the dark grey sort of borderlines around the leaves in the background, clearly separating it from the sky behind. Its quite weird that when I look at the photo I somehow cannot seem to notice these lines until I zoom in and then out on the whole picture again.

IMGC9584.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

You did not say what software you are using to view the image or what sort of screen you are viewing it on. Is the camera set to save a raw file? Is the software you are using processing a raw file while you are zooming in and back out and not finished until you have zoomed in and back out? What is your intent for this photo, documentation of a sighting or art?

What you describe sounds to me like more unsharp mask than I usually find pleasing. Too strong unsharp mask is sometimes said to create halos at boundary between light and dark. Is this a possibility?

If you place a CR3 file where others can download it, I expect someone will be able to diagnose what you are seeing.

If using Canon DPP software, you might zoom to 400% while setting unsharp mask and digital lens optimizer. For a bird  photos, I avoid auto lighting optimizer and increase digital lens optimizer to make feather details more noticeable.

This is only a bird feeder photo at our house because the bird stayed hidden behind foliage in shadows before going to the feeder, but the Canon DPP processing was:

CanonVRD:Image WorkColorSpace sRGB
CanonVRD:Image RawBrightnessAdj 0.33
CanonVRD:Image WhiteBalanceAdj Daylight
CanonVRD:Image WBAdjColorTemp 5200
CanonVRD:Image ColorSaturationAdj 1
CanonVRD:Image UnsharpMaskStrength 2
CanonVRD:Image UnsharpMaskFineness 1.6
CanonVRD:Image UnsharpMaskThreshold 3
CanonVRD:Image ShadowAdj -2
CanonVRD:Image HighlightAdj -0.4
CanonVRD:Image LuminanceNoiseReduction 0
CanonVRD:Image ChrominanceNoiseReduction 0
CanonVRD:Image DLOSetting 70
CanonVRD:Image GammaHighlight -0.4
CanonVRD:Image GammaBlackPoint +0.000
CanonVRD:Image GammaWhitePoint +1.000
CanonVRD:Image GammaMidPoint +0.000
CanonVRD:Image DPRAWMicroadjustBackFront 0
CanonVRD:Image DPRAWMicroadjustStrength 8
CanonVRD:Image CropX 1302
CanonVRD:Image CropY 1075
CanonVRD:Image CropWidth 1800
CanonVRD:Image CropHeight 1200
CanonVRD:Image CropOriginalWidth 5088
CanonVRD:Image CropOriginalHeight 3392

Part of my reasoning about the processing was that the bright colors of this bird tend to saturate and clip in bright sunlight, so I set exposure compensation to -2/3 in the camera and then brightened it as much as I could in DPP without clipping the red channel or blue channel. I darkened the shadows because they do not interest me. The DPRAW processing emphasizes the feather boundaries. I increased the input white point to get a little more dynamic range. I used digital lens optimizer at 70 and DPRAW strength at 8. In the end, I do not expect that the sharpening halos will be noticeable to most people and the there will be the appearance of sharpness.

Painted Bunting (Passerina ciris) on a birdfeeder in Norman, Oklahoma, United States on June 17, 2024 ; 400.0 mm ; 1/640 ; ISO 400 ; F/6.3 ; distance about 8 meters ; https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/2024Jun17_birds_and_cats/2024jun17_bunting_IMG_0431cs.htmlPainted Bunting (Passerina ciris) on a birdfeeder in Norman, Oklahoma, United States on June 17, 2024 ; 400.0 mm ; 1/640 ; ISO 400 ; F/6.3 ; distance about 8 meters ; https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/2024Jun17_birds_and_cats/2024jun17_bunting_IMG_0431cs.html

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

You did not say what software you are using to view the image or what sort of screen you are viewing it on. Is the camera set to save a raw file? Is the software you are using processing a raw file while you are zooming in and back out and not finished until you have zoomed in and back out? What is your intent for this photo, documentation of a sighting or art?

What you describe sounds to me like more unsharp mask than I usually find pleasing. Too strong unsharp mask is sometimes said to create halos at boundary between light and dark. Is this a possibility?

If you place a CR3 file where others can download it, I expect someone will be able to diagnose what you are seeing.

If using Canon DPP software, you might zoom to 400% while setting unsharp mask and digital lens optimizer. For a bird  photos, I avoid auto lighting optimizer and increase digital lens optimizer to make feather details more noticeable.

This is only a bird feeder photo at our house because the bird stayed hidden behind foliage in shadows before going to the feeder, but the Canon DPP processing was:

CanonVRD:Image WorkColorSpace sRGB
CanonVRD:Image RawBrightnessAdj 0.33
CanonVRD:Image WhiteBalanceAdj Daylight
CanonVRD:Image WBAdjColorTemp 5200
CanonVRD:Image ColorSaturationAdj 1
CanonVRD:Image UnsharpMaskStrength 2
CanonVRD:Image UnsharpMaskFineness 1.6
CanonVRD:Image UnsharpMaskThreshold 3
CanonVRD:Image ShadowAdj -2
CanonVRD:Image HighlightAdj -0.4
CanonVRD:Image LuminanceNoiseReduction 0
CanonVRD:Image ChrominanceNoiseReduction 0
CanonVRD:Image DLOSetting 70
CanonVRD:Image GammaHighlight -0.4
CanonVRD:Image GammaBlackPoint +0.000
CanonVRD:Image GammaWhitePoint +1.000
CanonVRD:Image GammaMidPoint +0.000
CanonVRD:Image DPRAWMicroadjustBackFront 0
CanonVRD:Image DPRAWMicroadjustStrength 8
CanonVRD:Image CropX 1302
CanonVRD:Image CropY 1075
CanonVRD:Image CropWidth 1800
CanonVRD:Image CropHeight 1200
CanonVRD:Image CropOriginalWidth 5088
CanonVRD:Image CropOriginalHeight 3392

Part of my reasoning about the processing was that the bright colors of this bird tend to saturate and clip in bright sunlight, so I set exposure compensation to -2/3 in the camera and then brightened it as much as I could in DPP without clipping the red channel or blue channel. I darkened the shadows because they do not interest me. The DPRAW processing emphasizes the feather boundaries. I increased the input white point to get a little more dynamic range. I used digital lens optimizer at 70 and DPRAW strength at 8. In the end, I do not expect that the sharpening halos will be noticeable to most people and the there will be the appearance of sharpness.

Painted Bunting (Passerina ciris) on a birdfeeder in Norman, Oklahoma, United States on June 17, 2024 ; 400.0 mm ; 1/640 ; ISO 400 ; F/6.3 ; distance about 8 meters ; https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/2024Jun17_birds_and_cats/2024jun17_bunting_IMG_0431cs.htmlPainted Bunting (Passerina ciris) on a birdfeeder in Norman, Oklahoma, United States on June 17, 2024 ; 400.0 mm ; 1/640 ; ISO 400 ; F/6.3 ; distance about 8 meters ; https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/2024Jun17_birds_and_cats/2024jun17_bunting_IMG_0431cs.html

Yes, I am using DPP to view the images and I shoot all of them in RAW. 

What you are suggesting does make sense.

Anyway, I have now noticed that this is only visible when I view these images in basic windows image viewing software, as this software is automatically editing raw images, often resulting in things like this halo just described. It is completely fine when using DPP.

Thank you for this detailed answer and for your help, greatly!

Announcements