cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7: Best SD card

Connor
Apprentice

What is one of the cheapest but best sd cards for the canon r7 it’s my second camera ever and my first one came all together, I’m going to be filming for instagram YouTube and private uses. I want to be able to film a lot of videos in 4k 60fps and want to make sure I have the best budget sd card thank you for your help. 🙂

4 REPLIES 4

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Connor,

Here is a website from a photographer named David Coleman.

Canon EOS R7 Memory Card Recommendations

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/canon-eos-r7-memory-card-recommendations/

His bottom line was to get an SDXC card with a UHS-II interface that’s rated at V60 or V90.

Whatever you do, get a card from a reputable dealer There's lots of counterfeit cards out there that are "cheap".

Steve Thomas

zakslm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don’t have or use an R7 or shoot much video. I do shoot in RAW, copy to the computer and reformat the cards a lot. 

I’ve used Sandisk Ultra cards (made in China and in 32mb, 64mb and 128mb) with good results and no failures thus far. They are reasonably priced and as Steve advised, should be purchased from a reputable seller.

Recently I saw a Lexar 64mb at Office Depot/Officemax for $10 so I thought I’d give it a try. It’s made in Taiwan.  It’s still too early to tell, but so far, so good. 

IMG_1137.jpeg

Conner,

Forgive me for replying to my own post.  But, I thought about your question and in my first response, I tried to the address the "cheapest best" aspect of that question.  However I think I'd be remiss if I didn't try to offer some additional advice after thinking about the question you posed and the best way to answer it.

The SD card is the cheapest piece of required equipment in the photograph or video process.  Compared to the cost of a camera body, lens and all of the other items, the cost of the SD card is a very small percentage of the total investment.  Yet, if it fails, your photographic or video endeavors are in vain so skimping on an SD Card may come back and bite you. 

I'm not saying buy an expensive SD card because it's "the best" and endorsed by famous photographers, YouTubers and influencers.  That would be a disservice and frankly not answer your question.  I'm thinking that your question may be better stated as which SD card provides the best value for the price?  The answer usually isn't that it's the cheapest or most expensive SD card you can find.

I think that Steve and Trevor are trying to guide you to finding the best value in an SD card that is suited for your equipment and use case.   I tried to share which SD card(s) have provided value and reliability for me in hopes that my experince might help.

Good luck!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Connor and welcome to the forum:
First, avoid micro-SD cards with adapters, they do not work reliably with cameras.  I use SanDisk and Lexar cards, as my colleagues suggest, from reputable dealers only: avoid cheap  deals on the web - there are a lot of counterfeits out there.
SD cards use a variety of indicators for speed.  For example, most cards quote MB/sec read speeds (although read/write speeds are different) but there are two numbers that should be consistent:
A number inside a C shape.  The best for this is one with a 10 inside and it normally refers to shooting stills. 
There is a second number as well, a U shape with a number inside and current best in class is a 3 more aligned with video. 

There are articles on the web discussing the relative speed merits of various cards by brand and model, but one thing you should consider is what the camera documentation says.  If you exceed the write speed of the card interface, then you are wasting your investment.

In the manual for the R7, p22 it gives a rather general comment on compatible cards thus:

Tronhard_0-1719528561913.png

Further investigation comes up with the following, more specific data: 
Canon EOS R7: Must-have accessories Guide | ProMediaGear

I hope this is of some assistance.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements