cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 Auto ISO goes to highest setting and stays there

Deneye
Contributor

When I set the ISO on my R7 to auto it goes to the highest ISO setting and stays there. Does anyone have an idea of how to deal with this? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't have a R7 but you should be able to set a range of low to high limits for Auto ISO. I know some cameras show the high ISO setting when you set Auto ISO. They have to show something. You might try a camera reset if all else fails.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't it change the ISO value when you start metering and aim the camera at a bright scene? Take a picture outside and look at the ISO value stored in the picture file. It should vary based on the scene brightness and other settings (aperture, shutter speed).

It goes to the highest ISO and stays there.

I have changed the ISO and it still just goes as high as I have set. I really like auto ISO when tracking wildlife or when I want to quickly take a photo and at least be close to correct exposure 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't have a R7 but you should be able to set a range of low to high limits for Auto ISO. I know some cameras show the high ISO setting when you set Auto ISO. They have to show something. You might try a camera reset if all else fails.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I would like like to have the camera adjust to changing light. Maybe I’ll try a reset see if that works

thanks!

Reset worked! Now I will customize my buttons and see how it goes 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would also suggest resetting the camera back to its factory defaults.  What is your setting on th shooting mode dial on the top of the camera?

Some combinations and shooting conditions can yield unexpected results.  One common rabbit hole is allowing the camera to control more than one leg of the Exposure Triangle at the same time.  I would only use ISO Auto when the shooting mode is set to M.  

Using ISO in Av or Tv modes can yield unexpected results and the right conditions.  This is why the camera has a menu setting called “Safety Shift”.  This setting when combined with others are intended to limit unexpected or erroneous automatic exposure settings.  I disable them.

Try this after you do a camera reset.  Before you start changing camera settings, set the shooting mode to the Green [A+] mode.  Do the camera exposure and ISO values seem reasonable?  If so, then that would suggest that you had a perfect storm of camera settings and shooting conditions to create the high ISO settings when using ISO Auto.

What those settings were does not matter.  Just observe the basic rule of thumb of not allowing the camera to control more than one leg of the exposure triangle at a time.  When using Tv or Av mode, you should dial in an ISO value, as well as disable “Safety Shift”, which is how it was named in DSLRs.  I can find it in the first Orange Camera menu in the R6, and it uses the same name.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I only use manual. 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements