cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 Auto Exposure Bracketing and High-Speed Continuous Shooting Together

mrhengy
Contributor

Hi,

I like to do a lot of wildlife photography, about 2/3rds being birds, and I have settled on my preferred settings for my Canon R7, based on my skills, what feels comfortable, and what I feels gives me the best photos.

Except for one thing: Using AEB and High-speed Continuous Shooting (+ or non+) together. I like to bracket, because I find that with fast moving subjects, I can't react fast enough to change exposure compensation manually. I find that a +/- 1 stop both ways gives me the safety I want. High-speed Continuous Shooting should be obvious.

However, when used together, the camera will only shoot 3 frames, and then I have to release the shutter button, and press it again for another 3 frames. (AEB is set to 3 frames). Now, most of the time this is fine - it gives me time to recompose, track my subject, etc. But every now and again, I'd like to just hold the shutter and roll off more than 3 frames. I have been up and down the camera menu and manual, and I can't find a setting to change this behavior.

Does anyone know of a way to change this?

14 REPLIES 14

I figured it out.  Set bracketing to 5 exposures.  Set the interval timer to one second, and 20 repetitions. My R6 took 100 exposures just like I needed.  I think that I also read that if you set the interval to 0, the camera will work as fast as it can.

amfoto1
Authority

This is an either or situation.

There is no practical way to set up any camera to shoot bracketed exposures in continuous bursts.

You just need to learn to trust your exposure settings.

Be sure to shoot RAW or CRAW, to have the most latitude to make exposure corrections.

If shooting in variable lighting conditions, use one of the auto exposure modes... AV, TV, M + Auto ISO. Maybe even P (not my personal favorite). With these you might also use ETTR technique.

You also could set Safety Shift, where the camera will override your exposure settings. I don't really trust it or know if it will slow down burst rates or whatever.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

That's too bad. Really seems like something Canon just decided for users, but could have easily made an option in order to cater to people's shooting styles.

mrhengy
Contributor

I knew this was going to happen. Perfect timing, as DPReview just went down.

I come here with a perfectly valid question, only to get told I'm not using my camera right, no one should ever need to do that, or the two were never intended to be used together and I'm absurd for even trying. If there is no option to do what I want, a simple "no" would have sufficed.

Thanks everyone.

@mrhengy wrote:

I knew this was going to happen. Perfect timing, as DPReview just went down.

I come here with a perfectly valid question, only to get told I'm not using my camera right, no one should ever need to do that, or the two were never intended to be used together and I'm absurd for even trying. If there is no option to do what I want, a simple "no" would have sufficed.

Thanks everyone.

“ Does anyone know of a way to change this?

A simple “no” is th wrong answer.

You cannot change the behavior because the two features are mutually exclusive.  You have been provided with a work around.  Use the 2-second timer.  Good Luck.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements