cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Menu and touch screen locked.

juliadd
Apprentice

Hi, 

I was recently on a photography outing in unsavory weather conditions, rain and wind.  I had my camera as best protected as possible. 

After mounting my Canon R6 on tripod I was not able to use the touch screen, menu or review buttons.  The shutter button worked no problem ( I use back button focusing) no issues but when I tried to change focus point on the screen, it would not budge.

I switched camera off, took out battery, card and put back again. all to no avail.  Over night I took off lens, battery, cards etc, still not working.  I have no idea why this has happened, camera is only 2.2 years old with a relatively  low shutter count.

Please help, I would appreciate any advise as to how to fix this problem.

Julia

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The R6 should have weather sealing.  A few drops should not have damaged it.  Did the camera actually get wet?  If so, how much exposure to water did it experience?

Also, check the position of the [LOCK] switch.  There are camera settings that can disable those touch control and other buttons.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Bkerwin234
Contributor

Hello Julia, I am having this exact same issue. The camera turns on however when I press the menu button and the playback button are un responsive. when I press them nothing happens. I made sure the lock button was off. Let me know if you find a solution. thank you and good luck

Brian

patentloafers
Contributor

Anyone d we get a resolution? My R6M2 is now doing this. It’s been babies too. Just out of no where stops working. 

Hi patentloafers,

I'm sorry to hear your EOS R6 Mark II is having issues. Cameras can freeze or buttons can become unresponsive for a wide range of reasons, so to assist you with what is happening in your case we would need some more information. Is the issue that the camera is completely freezing and becoming unresponsive, or is the issue that specific buttons are not working? If the issue is with some buttons aren't working which ones aren't responding? Are you seeing any error messages on the camera, and if you are seeing an error message what does it say word for word? What function is the camera using when it is freezing?

It’s any function that it occurs. All buttons don’t work. I can use wheels tho to change aperture and shutter. Other than that it’s a no go! No error messages unfortunately. THANK YOU

Did not get a solution I sent my camera to canon however they said it was “too corroded” even though I never really let it get wet. Had to sell it used for parts because canon would not fix it so it was my only option to get some money out of it. While waiting to sell it I used my other r6 and noticed while holding down the shutter button lightly to focus it does the exact same thing that my broken r6 did. My thoughts are that maybe something in the shutter button either got stuck or broke. Just a theory though not a camera expert. Best of luck with your camera!

-Brian K

Thank you! Honestly what you’re describing seems highly plausible. The autofocus is going CRAZY. It’s like on overdrive. 

Have you checked that the Multi Function Lock switch is not enabled?  The lock switch does what it says.  It locks the controls of your camera.  If you are feeling for the shutter or video record buttons, it is quite easy to enable that by mistake.

Tronhard_0-1721972574381.png

You can use the menu to configure what that switch will or will not do. 

Tronhard_1-1721972657375.png

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I’m certain I checked that. But I’ll double check again when I’m back home near the camera. doesn’t really explain the autofocus issues. In multifunction lock default (no programming) - would you still be able to change shutter and aperatue?

Announcements