cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II won't update firmware

lazya
Contributor

My camera will not update the firmware 1.30. It just restates the camera without updating 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

lazya
Contributor

It finally updated! Thanks all! I removed the battery grip, put the FIR. on both extreme Pro cards. And now this time it is updating for some reason; I had already tried this before.Anyway, Happy that it finally worked. 

View solution in original post

Ah, I wonder if it was the battery grip being attached? Do you recall if the other cameras you had updated successfully had accessories attached?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

I'm using SanDisk extreme pro 300MBS

Terry_R6mk2
Contributor

This is from the Canon site, I updated mine yesterday.

Copy the firmware to the card
1. Initialize/format the card with the camera. As this will erase the contents of your memory card, backing up your images/videos to your computer before performing this step is recommended.
*Please see the cameras's instruction manual for information on how to inialize/format the card

2. Insert the card into the card reader and copy the downloaded firmware file to card's root directory
*The firmware file is contained within the Firmware download from our support website and has a *.fir file extension

Update the firmware
1. Remove the card from the card reader and insert into the camera
2. Turn the camera's power on and set the shooting mode to <P> mode
3. Press the <Menu> button to display the menu
4. Select <Firmware Ver.X.X.X> from the <Setup> tab on the menu and press the <SET> button

Hope it helps

"Just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, just take another shot.” – Anonymous.

Yep, did all that, still no go, but thank you for your reply. 

Just remember that after you download the zip folder from the site, you have to right click  or double click on the zip folder and open it.....then copy just the "fir" file (as seen below) to the clean SD card...then you proceed with the rest of installation.

Remove one card and insert the card with the file only, if it didn't recognize it, insert it in the other slot.

R6 mk2 firmware.JPG

Hope it helps

"Just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, just take another shot.” – Anonymous.

That was my initial thought, however given her statement: "I've updated my other cameras without incident, this new R6ii will not update." I would hazard that she is aware of this.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Which Canon site did you use to download the file?  I think you might need to download from the “country of origin” for the camera body.

For example, I do not think you can install firmware from Canon USA if the camera was marketed to be sold in a different market.  Do you think you could have a “grey market” camera body?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

FWIW. Personally, I have updated firmware from several regions on my gear with no issues.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

We have also had past forum members unable to update a grey market body.   Once they figured out the country and downloaded, the update worked.   
Cameras may have more firmware memory now.  Cameras from some countries have a limited set of languages. 

lazya
Contributor

Nope

A grey market body from the wrong country could cause the issue.

Are you able to download DPP4 from Canon USA?  Doing so requires a serial number. 

Announcements