cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II What is the metering button?

jenks
Apprentice

On the R6 II, when using certain RF lenses with a combination focus ring/control ring it is supposed to be possible to vary certain settings using the control ring and the "metering button" - as indicated on p. 978 of the online user manual for this camera - this term is also used in the camera's menu system - I don't know what the "metering button" is. If anyone can enlighten me I would be most grateful. (The lens I am using is the RF 24-240mm lens but this should be relevant to other lenses as well.)

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

I have the R6II and it works in a very similar way to a long line of other Canon bodies.

By default, metering is activated by half-pressing the shutter button as one focuses, to override the value offered while doing so, one rotates the large wheel Quick Control Dial 1 (P31) on the back of the camera to provide exposure compensation. 
There is an AE Lock function assigned to  the * button on the top right of the back. This usually locks the value of the exposure already obtained from half-pressing the shutter button.  This, can be  configured to work as an all-in-one exposure and lock feature when one want to remove the exposure function from the shutter button.
So, the metering button could be the shutter button, the * button or, if otherwise customized, another button on the camera depending on what customization is applied, see the options on P972. You will note that there are listed 7 different exposure function options, and reference is made to the Command Dial 1 to achieve exposure compensation below them.  Since the exposure function can be changed and also moved to different buttons, that is why the term 'metering button'  is used as it could apply to whatever button actually achieves a metering value, to which that function is assigned.
In fact, the exposure compensation control wheel function - by default the quick control dial 1 on the back of the camera (see P31), can itself also be assigned to a function ring on some RF lenses - see note on the base of P982. 
You can perhaps see that with all of these options, Canon have referred to the function rather than a specific button, but the defaults are explained under camera controls section.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@jenks wrote:

On the R6 II, when using certain RF lenses with a combination focus ring/control ring it is supposed to be possible to vary certain settings using the control ring and the "metering button" - as indicated on p. 978 of the online user manual for this camera - this term is also used in the camera's menu system - I don't know what the "metering button" is. If anyone can enlighten me I would be most grateful. (The lens I am using is the RF 24-240mm lens but this should be relevant to other lenses as well.)

Hello, jenks!

I grabbed my wife's R6 mark II and messed with it a bit and the button they refer to in the manual as the "metering button" is the Exposure lock (AE lock), which is the button marked with an asterisk (*). See page 181 in the manual for its normal functions and uses.

Please keep in mind that I just fooled with it a few minutes just to confirm, but while pressing and holding the * button it allowed the lens control ring to make the adjustments I configured it to access. I also noticed that some functions shown in the manual as grayed out were actually available in the control ring setup menu without needing to use the * button.

Newton

Hi Florida: I really appreciated your reply to my query - it was quite helpful - yours truly. Jenks

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

I have the R6II and it works in a very similar way to a long line of other Canon bodies.

By default, metering is activated by half-pressing the shutter button as one focuses, to override the value offered while doing so, one rotates the large wheel Quick Control Dial 1 (P31) on the back of the camera to provide exposure compensation. 
There is an AE Lock function assigned to  the * button on the top right of the back. This usually locks the value of the exposure already obtained from half-pressing the shutter button.  This, can be  configured to work as an all-in-one exposure and lock feature when one want to remove the exposure function from the shutter button.
So, the metering button could be the shutter button, the * button or, if otherwise customized, another button on the camera depending on what customization is applied, see the options on P972. You will note that there are listed 7 different exposure function options, and reference is made to the Command Dial 1 to achieve exposure compensation below them.  Since the exposure function can be changed and also moved to different buttons, that is why the term 'metering button'  is used as it could apply to whatever button actually achieves a metering value, to which that function is assigned.
In fact, the exposure compensation control wheel function - by default the quick control dial 1 on the back of the camera (see P31), can itself also be assigned to a function ring on some RF lenses - see note on the base of P982. 
You can perhaps see that with all of these options, Canon have referred to the function rather than a specific button, but the defaults are explained under camera controls section.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@jenks wrote:

Hello, jenks!

I grabbed my wife's R6 mark II and messed with it a bit and the button they refer to in the manual as the "metering button" is the Exposure lock (AE lock), which is the button marked with an asterisk (*). See page 181 in the manual for its normal functions and uses.

Please keep in mind that I just fooled with it a few minutes just to confirm, but while pressing and holding the * button it allowed the lens control ring to make the adjustments I configured it to access. I also noticed that some functions shown in the manual as grayed out were actually available in the control ring setup menu without needing to use the * button.

Newton

Hi Florida: I really appreciated your reply to my query - it was quite helpful - yours truly. Jenks

Announcements