cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II GPS Support

pladelfe
Apprentice

Since determining that the EOS R3 eye controlled focus is defective by design, (Covered in an earlier conversation.) I am looking at the R5 or R6 Mkii as a lower cost alternative, the R3 having no further attraction for me. For the past several years, I have been geotagging my images using a GP-E2 on an EOS 5D Mkiii and using an EOS 6D Mkii. I am not willing to give up this capability. With regard to the R5 and F6 Mkii, I have seen some cumbersome schemes using a Bluetooth link to a smart phone which I do not find satisfactory. I also saw, in the specs for the R6 Mkii, a reference to displaying GPS data but no indication of the genesis of those data. Furthermore, I came across one passing reference to using my GP-E2 on either of these cameras with an AD-E1 Multi-Function Shoe Adapter but this comment was not  solid enough for me to trust.

Is there any way, except for the smart phone scheme, to geolocate images with the EOS R6 Mkii? If not, I shall simply have to postpone my transition to mirrorless.

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite

Canon's product/support page for the EOS R5 does make mention of the GP-E2 being an available accessory for it.  But I don't see the GP-E2 in the acessories section for the EOS R6 Mark II.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

I just bought the R6 mark II, so I looked in the manual and it does support the GP-E2 (page 838), walks you through the menus, and tells you how to connect it, but stops short of any instruction and refers you to the GP-E2 manual for use on the R62. It does say to make sure the GP-E2 has firmware 2.0.0 or later. Firmware 2.0.2 is available.

I also own the R5, so I looked in the manual (page 705) and it is the same. Supports the GP-E2, but refers you to the GP-E2 manual for use.

Newton

Announcements