cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II Freezes with Rokinon Lens

Waltnovell
Contributor

A few days ago i finally get it ver happy about it!! I test all lense canon mostly but when attached my rokinon sp 85mm 1.2 manual and push the shutter for taking a photo the camera froze on me I got to take the battery to make it work again, in video works great no problem only when i need it for photos, is this normal or my camera is broken? Please advice

23 REPLIES 23

Rindir
Apprentice

Hey! It happens to my IRIX 11mm f/4. It just freezes and I have to take out the battery. 

Do you think this could be fixed? It really bugs me out, it worked on R5, RP and R perfectly :///

jpbananaman
Apprentice

UPDATE: Firmware 1.1.1 fixes this! My camera boots faster and without issue now. 

Same exact issue over here; New R6 Mark II on the latest firmware (1.0.0) and my Samyang AF 85mm 1.4 RF on latest firmware (v3) is being finicky with the camera.

I do have a workaround!

It's not ideal, but if you start the camera without the lens attached (or partially) and then lock the lens into place it will work as if nothing's wrong. For some reason the camera just can't initialize with the lens attached and it freezes on a black screen until you remove the battery.

Canon shut down 3rd party lens manufacturers for the RF mount and Samyang/Rokinon have discontinued their line of RF lenses so I wouldn't hold your breath for a firmware update. Best to sell it now while it holds value or just settle for the current workaround and hope Samyang have it in their hearts to continue to support the lens. I might send an email just to see what they say.

Happy shooting

stuart19999
Apprentice

Just to add to this thread... 

I have a Canon R6 Mk2. I've fitted the samyang 14mm EF lens to the canon RF/EF adapter. The camera does register and displays an image but the shutter button won't snap a photo (just does nothing when pressed). 

Very annoying!  

Danfaz
Enthusiast

I could be wrong, but isn't it the third party lens manufacturer's job to make sure their lens works with a camera? They have their docks to upgrade the firmware when a new camera comes out. 

Why are we expecting Canon to make this work?

That's a fair point. Frustrating none the less. The lens previously worked. For example, it works like a dream on my old 200D. Seems a shame to make a brilliant lens redundant when no doubt a firmware update could fix it. 

The lens I have is a manual focus type, which I believe isn't compatible with a dock (according to the lens manufacturers website). This basically means unless canon fix the issue then the lens is redundant to me. 

Pity. 

@stuart19999 wrote:

That's a fair point. Frustrating none the less. The lens previously worked. For example, it works like a dream on my old 200D. Seems a shame to make a brilliant lens redundant when no doubt a firmware update could fix it. 

The lens I have is a manual focus type, which I believe isn't compatible with a dock (according to the lens manufacturers website). This basically means unless canon fix the issue then the lens is redundant to me. 

Pity. 

Canon won’t “fix” it.  Nothing is broken.  It is not Canon’s responsibility to fix their firmware so that the camera works with every piece of third party gear out there.

Realize that you are complaining about a lens made for an EF mount camera body not body working on an RF mount camera body.  I’m certain if the RF mount even existed when that lens was designed and first released.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

We should not be expecting Canon to make their camera work with 3rd party lenses.  The onus is on the lens maker.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

In this case the problem was Canon. FW fixed the problem without even targeting it...meaning....there was a larger issue with the camera making things not work. 

Don't be such a fanboy. Canon doesn't need you to defend them.

Yes, so I understand.  I was simply responding to the question posed by Danfaz as a general matter of principle.  The fact that in this case the firmware updated happened to deal with a specific issue is great but the principle holds true.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

bvf
Contributor

Same problem with the Samyang 10mm XP on an R6 Mk II. Here are a couple of partial solutions that might help (at least if the lens has auto-aperture control but not auto-focus - I don't know if these work with an autofocus lens):

1) Put some tape over the contacts on the lens. You need to cover the two contacts (one short, one long) slightly separated from the other contacts. This will let you use the lens at full aperture - but you cannot stop it down.

2) Get one of the dumber 3rd-party EF to EOS-R adapters that does not provide electrical contacts between lens and camera.  This will let you use the lens at full aperture - but you cannot stop it down.

3) If you are using method (2), then if you put the lens on a camera where it does work, press the aperture pre-view button and remove the lens while pressing the button, then the lens aperture remains at the setting the camera applied. If you then fit the lens to the R-series camera with the dumber adapter you can view/shoot at that aperture. But of course you can't view/focus at full aperture.

Announcements