cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Firmware update (1.7 and 1.8) not downloading

Mano-CD
Contributor

I have a Canon EOS R6. I have wanted to update my firmware and have been trying to download the Firmware update (update 1.8) for the last 2 days. It has not been possible.

The DMG file downloads onto my Mac, but when I double-click, the file does not open up. I am on Mac OS Ventura 13.1.

Mano
Bogotá, Colombia
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Open Finder preferences and ensure the Hard Disks box is checked.  The next time you click the file it will mount on your desktop.

shadowsports_5-1677986367545.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

I got the file you from Canon Japan. There is a lot more detail on what has been added with Release 1.8.0. on the Japan site. Appreciate that. BTW, is it OK for me to go straight to version 1.8.0, skipping V1.7.0?

Mano
Bogotá, Colombia

Rgalloway7
Apprentice

I have Windows 10 (64 bit) and I am trying to download the R6 1.8.0 firmware, but the update download does not work.  It gives an error message:  "Error 404 - Not found.  The server has not found anything matching the request."  I have tried to download the firmware update on 3 different computers and get the same message every time.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

It appears firmware v1.8.0 has been pulled for investigation.

shadowsports_0-1678297857896.png

Regardless of where you get v1.8.0, I would not install it until Canon "greenlights" the update.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your continued follow-up and recommendations on this rather irritating issue. I, unfortunately, downloaded the update from the Canon Japan site and updated my R6 two days ago. Yesterday I used the camera for about 4 hours. I did not come across any serious issues other than some mild heating. I guess I will just have to wait for Canon to release the next update.  😕

I have owned a 5D MII for over 14 years and have never had any problems with it. Canon's standards are detriorating? It is not good to see a company of Canon's reputation and size to be releasing software updates before they are perfected.

Thanks for your help, RIck.

Mano
Bogotá, Colombia

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thanks for the kind words.  I also have many years of Canon camcoders and body's under my belt.  Except for a very short stint with 1 Nikon point and shoot, I've always been a Canon guy.  I don't think the decision to remove the 1.8.0 firmware indicates a deterioration in standards.  Either they discovered something or received reports that prompted removal.  Other companies might let something like this go and plan to fix it in the "next release". 

Thats not Canon, they pulled it immediately.  If the problem were serious or detrimental to use, a fix or rollback would have been provided.  I believe its isolated.  Perception matters and they've done the right thing.  I would expect a 1.8.1 (or similar) soon.  I'm confident It will ensure the R6 is stable and reliable.  Like you said 14 good years with your 5D3.  Thats a good track record.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you Rick for your wise words. A couple of observations:

1. I have now noticed the camera screen blinking when it is in the Menu view. Never happened before!
  2. The camera did not delete selected images while in the image review mode. When I downloaded images into Adobe Lightroom, ALL the images I had deleted in-camera were still there!

I am not sure these issues are a direct result of my update to version 1.8.0

Mano
Bogotá, Colombia
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements