cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R50 External Mic Issues

BTA_Jonathan
Apprentice

Does anyone have any idea how to get the camera to recognize an external mic? I have the Rode VideoGo II with RODE Microphones SC2 3.5mm TRS Patch Cable. I've also tried a lav mic but neither seems to work properly with the camera.

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe that you are correct, the camera doesn't pass audio through the USB port.

scanon
Apprentice

Hey there. I'm not sure if this helps since I'm fairly late to answer but I recently had the same issue. My R50 has firmware 1.1.0 (probably the same on yours) and I could not use my Rode VideoMic Go (original—still requires external power: https://rode.com/en-us/microphones/on-camera/videomic-go#section-specs). Silence when I plugged it in but works with my M6 Mark II. I also used the SC2 cable. I have both the SC2 and the SC7. I tried both but nothing happened no matter how many times I plugged and unplugged the SC2 and SC7 cables.

I then turned the camera off, plugged the mic in again and then powered the camera on and then it worked! Magic? I don't know why. However, now I can plug/unplug the mic using the SC2 cable as normal and it records audio from the RODE when plugged in and from the camera when unplugged.

I don't know if there was some one time initialization that the camera had to do when booting or what but my RODE VideoMic Go (original) does work with my R50 using the SC2 cable from RODE.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements