cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t adjust aperture on Canon M50 Mark II

Scamm22
Apprentice

I purchased a fully manual super telephoto lens that is compatible with my M50 Mark II but have not figured how to adjust the aperture setting. I did figure out how to make the shutter work even though the camera doesn’t think there is a lens attached. Any quick fixes to adjusting the aperture?  Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Scammm22,

If you got a manual lens, then you won't be able to adjust the aperture with your camera. You'll have to physically adjust that on the lens itself. One of the dials on your lens will say things like f/2.8, f/5.6 or f/8, etc.

Steve Thomas

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Scamm22 wrote:

I purchased a fully manual super telephoto lens that is compatible with my M50 Mark II but have not figured how to adjust the aperture setting. I did figure out how to make the shutter work even though the camera doesn’t think there is a lens attached. Any quick fixes to adjusting the aperture?  Thanks in advance

What the make and full model number of the lens? 

Many of the low budget, super telephoto, prime lenses have fixed focal lengths and apertures.  A fixed aperture of f/8 has been pretty common.  Set your camera to Av mode, and dial in f/8.  This allows the camera to calculate the proper exposure for you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

COMMANDER OPTICS 420-800mm f/8.3-16

Wont allow me to adjust aperture in any mode

Scamm22,

I looked at the web site you provided. Item number 2 at the bottom of the page says you have to set the aperture on the lens. It also says that you set the aperture on the camera and the lens.

From the looks of the lens barrel, it appears that the aperture steps down as you increase the focal length, i.e, at 420mm, your aperture is f/8.3. If you increase your focal length to 500mm, the aperture stops down to f/10. If you inrease your focal length to 700mm, your lens stops down to f/14, etc.

You can also set those same apertures while in manual mode, but I don't think there is any electrical communication between camera and lens.

Steve Thomas

Whatever else you discover or try, just be sure to put the camera in a mode that involves manually setting the aperture, such as A or M. In any other mode exposure will be unpredictable.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

Far-Out-Dude
Rising Star
Rising Star

You have to be so careful of any lens coming off of Amazon. Even the so called Canon store has nothing to do with Canon.

Announcements