cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 screen shuts off almost instantly

Florentine
Contributor

How do I extend how long the screen is on?
My screen shuts off in a few seconds. Can't find it in the menu.

8 REPLIES 8

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Image Review. Shooting 7 menu. Page 258 of the users manual.

Image Review-1.jpg

Newton

Sorry, I wasn't clear. When I'm shooting video, the screen shuts off very quickly before pressing record.

@Florentine wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. When I'm shooting video, the screen shuts off very quickly before pressing record.

Is it the same with the viewfinder? Does it go blank as well? If you see it in the EVF, then please visit page 787 of the user manual as posted by johnrmoyer for clarification. Wrench 3> Screen/viewfinder display.

Newton

Thank you for taking the time. Viewfinder goes off when I take my eye away and screen turns on, then off very quickly

Camera/7 doesn't have Image review and I don't see it in other screens. 
7 shows IS (Image Stabilizer), Shuter btn function for movies, Metering timer 8 seconds (not sure what that is even after checking manual and videos), Zebra Settings, Shooting info. Display, VF display format.

I updated the firmware yesterday to 1.81.

@Florentine wrote:

Camera/7 doesn't have Image review and I don't see it in other screens. 
7 shows IS (Image Stabilizer), Shuter btn function for movies, Metering timer 8 seconds (not sure what that is even after checking manual and videos), Zebra Settings, Shooting info. Display, VF display format.

I updated the firmware yesterday to 1.81.

Sorry about that, Florentine. I was in "stills" mode. I don't shoot much video. The only thing I can find that might be the problem is as I mentioned, wrench 3> Screen/viewfinder display which does show in movie mode. I have mine set to Auto 2. However, during testing of the various options, none put a brief display on the rear LCD. So, although I would give it a try I don't think it is your problem. As bad as I hate to recommend this, you may have to do a full reset or first try videoing using "Scene intelligent auto" (A+). I've read that this mode bypasses any custom settings, but I have no experience with that.

Newton

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

It might also be worth looking at the power saving menu as well as the image review menu mentioned by @FloridaDrafter : https://cam.start.canon/en/C003/manual/html/UG-07_Set-up_0160.html

thanks. It's set to 3 minutes but shuts right off.

Announcements