cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 maintenance service estimate price jumped

Alan_W
Apprentice

I have sent my 15 month old R5 for the 18 point cleaning. The estimate on the site says $139 dollars. I then received a bill for $500 with no explanation of why. I am trying to find out why the price is so different, and hoped that others might be able share their experiences. Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, Alan_W!  It's possible that upon inspecting your camera, our technicians spotted an issue that needs to be addressed and that caused your original repair estimate to be revised.  You can get more details on your repair by logging into your MyCanon account. You can also talk to our Factory Service Center support team by phone Monday through Friday at 1-866-510-1335 and they'll be glad to answer your questions.

Hope this helps!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Alan_W wrote:

I have sent my 15 month old R5 for the 18 point cleaning. The estimate on the site says $139 dollars. I then received a bill for $500 with no explanation of why. I am trying to find out why the price is so different, and hoped that others might be able share their experiences. Thanks!

My experience with Canon official service is that they are very good at communicating relative to servcie issues and have never just charged me without authorization.

I have been contacted, the issue explained and given the option of authorizing the additional work or having the product returned unrepaired.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I concur with both answers.

Information regarding your repair is available in your My Canon account.  You can always contact support by phone to.  

Additionally, as John mentioned, Canon Service will not perform a repair that exceeds the original quote without authorization.   You should check with them to for this information.  You can then decide if you want the repair to be performed.

This is what's included:

Canon Support | Canon Maintenance Service | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have sent my 15 month old R5 for the 18 point cleaning."

Another thumbs up for Canon service and customer support. All companies should be like Canon USA. But the accolades aside was their a reason to send it in for the "18 point cleaning"? Was it dropped or got wet even a little wet? If so any extra normal factors should be noted to Canon when you send anything in.

Plus, Canon always goes over the entire camera even though you may not have asked for a specific service because they want to be sure the unit works as expected when you get it back.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

No reason other than I thought it worth it to get a full check up while it was in the service center’s hands. Thank you for responding.

Alan_W
Apprentice

Thank you everyone for the replies. The next day I received another authorization request for the amount I expected. Then the day after that the $500 charge was reversed on my credit card. I didn’t receive an explanation, but alls well that ends well, and my camera is on its way home. 

That is good news. Could have been an error. Could have been a “hold” to be sure the work would be paid for. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Hey, Alan!

We're so sorry for the confusion!

One team was working faster than the other - they hadn't entered your Proof of Purchase info yet, so it was billed as out of warranty. Then, they realized the mistake and reversed the charge. You should have gotten an email with an estimate with a breakdown of the erronious charges. Here it is:

Stephen_0-1704807844823.png

Thank you for checking

Announcements