cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R10 or EOS RP

Thillaishankar
Apprentice

Hi

I am in a dilemma to choose between Canon R10 and RP. 

As a hobbyist, I want to take travel, landscape photos and some portraits of my friends.

I like R10. But as a full-frame camera, RP seems to have an advantage over R10 on paper. 

Is R10 that much behind RP in these categories and low light?  Or will it perform equally with the boost from Digic X and other latest updates?

Thank you in advance.
EOS R10

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The only downside with the R10 (or any of the crop-sensor R-series cameras) is that they are not full frame.

So with your existing budget, another potential is to spend a bit more on a body and less on lenses.

An EOS R8 (full frame) is on sale for $1,300.  Add on the approx $170 for the RF 50mm f/1.8.  Then, another $400 for the cheaper RF 24-105 f/4-7.1.  Total of around $1,870 (€1,710).  Or if no items are on sale, would be around $2,100 (€1,920)

A full-frame camera will do better in low light.  And, all lenses would have wider angles of view as compared if using them on crop-sensor cameras.  However, a crop-sensor camera will have an advantage in that telelphoto lenses will reach a bit longer.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite

What is your budget? Do you have any existing lenses? If so, list out their brand and specific model numbers.

--
Ricky

My Budget is around 1000 Euros for Camera and 500 to 1000 Euros for the lenses.

I don't have any lenses. I am planning to get some used EF lenses and use them with adapter apart from the RF 50mm F1.8 lens.
Thank you.

Since you don't have any existing lenses, I would save the $130 on the EF to RF adapter and apply it to RF lenses.

Check out the EOS R10, which is a bit on sale (at least in the US) for just under $900.   Leaving 600 to 1,100 now for lenses.

Or, if preferring a better lens, there's the RF 24-105 f/4 L.  This is $1,300.  Pair with an EOS R50 ($630 on sale now).  Plus the RF 50mm f/1.8 would be a total of $2,100 or €1,920

--
Ricky

Thanks a lot. That was a great suggestion. I will go with RF lenses.
I have the R10 on sale for around $1000 equivalent in euros and it comes with the standard kit lens RF 18-45mm.
I will invest in RF 50mm f/1.8 and RF 24-105 f/4 L. 

Can I conclude that R10 for me would be better than RP in general?

The only downside with the R10 (or any of the crop-sensor R-series cameras) is that they are not full frame.

So with your existing budget, another potential is to spend a bit more on a body and less on lenses.

An EOS R8 (full frame) is on sale for $1,300.  Add on the approx $170 for the RF 50mm f/1.8.  Then, another $400 for the cheaper RF 24-105 f/4-7.1.  Total of around $1,870 (€1,710).  Or if no items are on sale, would be around $2,100 (€1,920)

A full-frame camera will do better in low light.  And, all lenses would have wider angles of view as compared if using them on crop-sensor cameras.  However, a crop-sensor camera will have an advantage in that telelphoto lenses will reach a bit longer.

--
Ricky

One quick followup... if going with a full-frame camera such as the EOS R8, be sure to avoid RF-S lenses.  All the lenses I had listed are RF.  RF-S lenses are specifically designed for crop-sensor cameras.  And while you technically can use them on full frame, your images will be cropped and you'll lose around 2.5 times the resolution.  So a 24 MP image will be cropped to just under 10 MP.

If you choose though to go with a crop-sensor camera such as the EOS R10, you can now use RF-S or RF lenses without issue.

--
Ricky

Thank you. I don't have the R8 in any such discounts in EU now. I may need to wait for that. Or I will go with the R10 and the lens suggestions given by you.
Thank you.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements