cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 lens aberration correction

greggp
Enthusiast

If I enable lens aberration correction in-camera for my EOS R5, do I need to ignore that feature in post-processing? I use Lightroom Classic and only shoot RAW. If I set profile correction in Lightroom, adjustments to the image are obviously made and I don't want to distort the image if it is already corrected. 

I've read that these corrections are only applied to jpegs and that the adjustments are only in the metadata of a RAW file. If that's the case, are these adjustments applied automatically on import to Lightroom? Or only when I pick the profile adjustment checkbox?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The lens aberration corrections applied in-camera are not applied in Lightroom.

In fact, because of some sort of conflict between Adobe and Canon even the in-camera settings like Picture Styles (which are recognized in the lkatest version of Lightroom) are ignored for .CR3 RAW files (except for the EOS R).

If you only shoot RAW stills there is no reason to select those options in-camera and it can slow down your shooting (especially if you select Digital Lens Optimization).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

shawnphoto
Enthusiast

If you are using Lightroom and shooting RAW you need to use Lightroom's corrections. The only time those corrections will carry over in a RAW file is if you are using Canon DPP. In that case Canon DPP reads the settings from the RAW file and applies them.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In fact, because of some sort of conflict between Adobe and Canon even the in-camera settings like Picture Styles (which are recognized in the lkatest version of Lightroom) are ignored for .CR3 RAW files (except for the EOS R).

If you only shoot RAW stills there is no reason to select those options in-camera and it can slow down your shooting (especially if you select Digital Lens Optimization).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I purchased and am using the Color Fidelity R5 camera profiles. I'm hoping that the conflict between Adobe and Canon will be resolved and we'll get the camera profiles option again.

@greggp wrote:

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I purchased and am using the Color Fidelity R5 camera profiles. I'm hoping that the conflict between Adobe and Canon will be resolved and we'll get the camera profiles option again.

I have the CF profiles for my 1DXMIII. Very happy with them.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Peter
Authority
Authority
Some raw converters may correct distortion based on in camera lens correction.

shawnphoto
Enthusiast

If you are using Lightroom and shooting RAW you need to use Lightroom's corrections. The only time those corrections will carry over in a RAW file is if you are using Canon DPP. In that case Canon DPP reads the settings from the RAW file and applies them.

Announcements