cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 : Switching Animal Eye AF:In a Single Frame between subjects on different focal planes

joydeep007
Apprentice

Hi guys,

I am getting this issue almost from day one with R5. Thought of asking you guys here to check if I am missing any fundamental setup. Appreciate any help or pointers to check. Do anyone of you guys have faced the same?

This is with Animal Eye AF. I get hard times switching in between subjects that are in same frame but in different focal planes. ( I think, it is also same for People Eye AF).

First time I noticed this when I was trying to shoot an egret in a flock, when the next to it started fighting with a 3rd one. They all were in same frame. I wanted to switch the Eye AF quickly to the second one in the frame by moving the joystick and placing the AF point on second one and then pressing  'AF-ON' and '*' buttons .

IMG_9321.jpg

'AF-ON' button did metering and focusing on 2nd egret's head. But as soon as I pressed '*' button, it returned to the first egret's eye instead of locking into second egret's eye. Since they were in different focal planes, I think, R5 did not provide the "white-arrowed-square" switching option. Eventually, ended up taking the shot while holding the 'AF-ON' button and got the whole egret head in the blue box.

I also learnt that if I reframe the shot throwing the first subject(where Animal Eye AF was always getting locked) out of the frame, then it was locking on to the new subject and also Eye AF was getting successful.

So, I tried to mockup the same situation at home that I experienced in field. I used my mac-book & cellphone to display the birds and placed them at different focal planes. Apologies for the bad quality of the video.

Details :

1. Camera : R5 ( with all firmwares : 1.0.0 , 1.1.0, 1.2.0)
  2. Lens : RF 28-70, RF 100-500 (with latest firmwares)
  3. Using back-button focus and Eye AF assigned to another button.
  4. Tried all metering modes.
  5. AF mode : tried 1-Point, Spot AF

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

There are a lot of R5/R6 users active on the Canon Forum at fredmiranda.com.

You may want to post there as well.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks John for your suggesstion.

Will do.

BTW, my second try with little more adjustments on the 2 subjects. Making it little more 'apple-to-apple' comparison.

Thanks!

Joydeep

joydeep007
Apprentice

Hi guys,

I am getting this issue almost from day one with R5. Thought of asking you guys here to check if I am missing any fundamental setup. Couldn't find any similar incidents anywhere else. Anyone facing the same challenge here? Appreciate any help or pointers to check.

This is with Animal Eye AF. I get hard times switching in between subjects that are in same frame but in different focal planes. ( I think, it is also same for People Eye AF).

First time I noticed this when I was trying to shoot an egret in a flock, when the next to it started fighting with a 3rd one. They all were in same frame. I wanted to switch the Eye AF quickly to the second one in the frame by moving the joystick and then pressing 'AF-ON' (customized to Metering and AF Start) and '*' button (customized to Eye AF). 'AF-ON' button did metering and focusing on 2nd egret's head. But as soon as I pressed '*' button, it returned to the first egret's eye instead of locking into second egret's eye. Since they were in different focal planes, I think, R5 did not provide the "white-arrowed-square" switching option. Eventually, ended up taking the shot while holding the 'AF-ON' button and got the whole egret head in the blue box.

I also learnt that if I reframe the shot throwing the first subject(where Animal Eye AF was always getting locked) out of the frame, then it was locking on to the new subject.

So, I tried to mockup the same situation at home that I experienced in field. I used my mac-book and cellphone to display the birds and placed them at different focal planes. Apologies for the bad quality of the video.

Further Details :

1. Camera : R5 ( with all firmwares : 1.0.0 , 1.1.0, 1.2.0)

2. Lens : RF 28-70, RF 100-500 (with latest firmwares)

3. Using back-button focus and Eye AF assigned to another button.

4. Tried all metering modes.

5. AF mode : tried 1-Point, Spot AF
  6. Tried Continuous Focusing enabled too
Announcements