cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Remove EU 29:59 Record Time Limit

karchner14
Contributor

With all the talk of record limits due to overheating, not many people are talking about the fact that this camera still has the antiquated 29:59 EU record time limit.  I believe Canon needs to remove this.

16 REPLIES 16

@Hipplewm wrote:

I like how you keep changing your arguement ever time someone blows holes in your previous arguement - I am kinda waiting for you to circle back and say it is against the law again.

I am not the one who posted the EU law is the reason why the 30 minute limit exists.  

Have a nice day.  Enjoy your camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

They absolutely should get rid of this time limit just because it dumber than a box of rocks. The camera costs $3,899 it should record for more than 30 minutes at a time for the love of god.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@karchner14 wrote:

.....antiquated 29:59 EU record time limit.  I believe Canon needs to remove this.

Greetings,

The "29:59 EU recording time limit" is something I have learned to accept as an "Ain't going to change in my lifetime" fact.  So as others mentioned...  I also suggest you start planning your next purchase (a camcorder) which is capable of such feats.

To maximize what recording time (and recovery) you do get with the R5, I suggest you update its FW to 1.1

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...

While the recovery algorithims were improved, there are no improvements in recording times in the higher quality video modes.  To be fair though its certainly better that the shipping FW.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@karchner14 wrote:

With all the talk of record limits due to overheating, not many people are talking about the fact that this camera still has the antiquated 29:59 EU record time limit.  I believe Canon needs to remove this.

It's not an antiquated time limit, its a legal/tax issue.

The tax on video recording devices ranges from about 5% up to 12% from what I have found on line; I don't know what affects the range.

While this only impacts imports to the EU it seems that camera companies have not decided to create special versions for that market. I'm not even sure there would be a way given the grey market trade.

I do not think the majority of DSLR users should be impacted with that tax for a limited number of users.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

You would be correct if it were before 2018

The World Trade Oraganization in 2018 did some trickery and the law no longer applies to Cameras - so there is no additional tax - that is why so many cameras now don't have the limit and their price didn't go up.  Camera companies are updating firmware to remove it etc...

EXCEPT Canon  😞

Before you go all google on me - I believe the tax may have gone thru portions if not all of 2019, but it was wholly rescinded mostly in 2016, became a thing in 2018 and went away some time after that. Point stands it doesn't exist today

@Hipplewm wrote:

You would be correct if it were before 2018

The World Trade Oraganization in 2018 did some trickery and the law no longer applies to Cameras - so there is no additional tax - that is why so many cameras now don't have the limit and their price didn't go up.  Camera companies are updating firmware to remove it etc...

EXCEPT Canon  😞

Before you go all google on me - I believe the tax may have gone thru portions if not all of 2019, but it was wholly rescinded mostly in 2016, became a thing in 2018 and went away some time after that. Point stands it doesn't exist today

That's false.  Nearly every camera sold still has the 30 minute time limit.  However, as you have pointed out, companies release a firmware update for users to install on some cameras that remove it....after the camera has been purchased.

BTW, you can record for almost as long as you wish to an external recorder on Canon bodies with "clean HDMI" output.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I really hope Canon doesn't listen to you.

Sony has removed recording limits on every camera that competes with the R5. Stop defending a limit that could be removed in a single line of code and telling people to go buy camcorders. There is no benefit to anybody to continue to argue that recording limits shouldn't be removed.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements