cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Mark II Eye Control AF won't focus

JFH834
Apprentice

Hello everybody!

My newly acquired R5 II seems to be having a very bothersome issue.

The Eye Control AF, though perfectly calibrated, just doesn't focus. Instead of focusing where the pointer is placed by eye, it uses the standard focusing areas (spot, enlarged etc...) which remain functional. No focusing "below" the EC AF's pointer.

Of course, the Eye Control is set on "on", the manual was painfully followed, all possible settings checked.

All other functions perform the way they should.

Any idea? I'd greatly appreciate some help solving this issue!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi JFH834,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with Eye Control on your EOS R5 Mark II. When you are you using the Eye Control are you confirming the subject before having the camera start focus by pressing the shutter button half way or holding down the AF On button. With focus areas like Spot the camera needs you to confirm the highlighted subject first, then it moves the AF point, and at that point you can start the focus.

The other thing to double check would be to set the AF Area to Whole Area. That way the camera can use AF points throughout the frame, and in that mode it should automatically set the focus point to your eye control location.

View solution in original post

Hello JFH834,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your R5 Mark II "Eye Control Focusing."  If you already performed the calibration procedure and are confident with it, then skip that part.

1. Calibration:

• Go to the menu and select [: Eye control].
    • Choose [Calibration (CAL)] and follow the on-screen instructions to register your eye’s characteristics. This involves looking at indicators in the viewfinder until they disappear. Perform this calibration both horizontally and vertically for better accuracy1.  Also when calibrating you should be able to see all 4 corners of the Calibration Screen and calibrate in different lighting, indoor, outdoor, in sunny and cloudy settings.  The AI learns and fine tunes the Eye Control Focusing. 
  2. Pointer Display:

3. Focus Guide:

If you want assistance with manual focusing, set [: Focus guide] to [On]. This will display a guide frame where you are looking1.

1. Using Eye Control:

2. Combining with Tracking:

The above settings should help you effectively use eye control focusing on your EOS R5 Mark II.  Please let us know the outcome.  🙂

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi JFH834,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with Eye Control on your EOS R5 Mark II. When you are you using the Eye Control are you confirming the subject before having the camera start focus by pressing the shutter button half way or holding down the AF On button. With focus areas like Spot the camera needs you to confirm the highlighted subject first, then it moves the AF point, and at that point you can start the focus.

The other thing to double check would be to set the AF Area to Whole Area. That way the camera can use AF points throughout the frame, and in that mode it should automatically set the focus point to your eye control location.

Hello JFH834,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your R5 Mark II "Eye Control Focusing."  If you already performed the calibration procedure and are confident with it, then skip that part.

1. Calibration:

• Go to the menu and select [: Eye control].
    • Choose [Calibration (CAL)] and follow the on-screen instructions to register your eye’s characteristics. This involves looking at indicators in the viewfinder until they disappear. Perform this calibration both horizontally and vertically for better accuracy1.  Also when calibrating you should be able to see all 4 corners of the Calibration Screen and calibrate in different lighting, indoor, outdoor, in sunny and cloudy settings.  The AI learns and fine tunes the Eye Control Focusing. 
  2. Pointer Display:

3. Focus Guide:

If you want assistance with manual focusing, set [: Focus guide] to [On]. This will display a guide frame where you are looking1.

1. Using Eye Control:

2. Combining with Tracking:

The above settings should help you effectively use eye control focusing on your EOS R5 Mark II.  Please let us know the outcome.  🙂

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

JFH834
Apprentice

Thanks for your suggestions! They helped, EC AF now works thanks to "whole area + (!!!!) servo AF.

I also calibrated anew using the large accessory eyepiece, which I warmly recommend!

Anyway, thank you all for your help, I really did appreciate!

Announcements