cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 How to switch rapidly from photo to video and back

Richie22
Contributor

I want to setup my R5 so that I can rapidly move from photo to video and back. With my R6 I simply activate video from photo mode by depressing the red video button. When I stop the video the camera returns to photo mode.

I have spent days trying to achieve the same sequence on my R5 without success. In video mode the R5 works fine, however when in photo mode depressing the video button comes up with completely different video settings.

I try setting up the video settings with C3 unsuccessfully. Obviously I am missing something. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Note: I use my Fn button for a particular function in photo mode that I do not wish to change.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

I programmed my M-Fn but as you stated, you have it programmed for something else.  The next fastest way to switch video is to press Mode then INFO.  that will switch between video and photo modes.  While in photo mode, pressing the record button should use C3 setting.  I'm wondering if you registered the C3 settings.

1. Switch to video mode.
  2. Make the setting changes you want
  3. Menu -> wrench icon/tab 5 -> Custom shooting mode -> register setting -> select custom shooting mode 3
  4. switch to picture mode
  5. press record button and verify the settings you wanted are correct.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

I programmed my M-Fn but as you stated, you have it programmed for something else.  The next fastest way to switch video is to press Mode then INFO.  that will switch between video and photo modes.  While in photo mode, pressing the record button should use C3 setting.  I'm wondering if you registered the C3 settings.

1. Switch to video mode.
  2. Make the setting changes you want
  3. Menu -> wrench icon/tab 5 -> Custom shooting mode -> register setting -> select custom shooting mode 3
  4. switch to picture mode
  5. press record button and verify the settings you wanted are correct.

-jaewoo

I also had a wierd issue with my R5 mode and video record button, had to send it into canon for top board replacement

Canon R5 M-Fn and Movie Record button stops workin... - Canon Community

-jaewoo

Hi Jaewoo, Thanks for your response which is a workable option. In the meanwhile I have come up with another option which you may be interested in:

1. Make all the required settings in video mode.

2. Save these settings in C3 while in video mode.

3. Return to photo mode. At any time press red record button - video recording starts. Press video record button again and the camera returns to your photo mode.

Seems a complex work around, but will work for me who takes photos of birds with the occasional short video. 

I dunno if I would call it a work around  -- that's how it's supposed to work.  I made a review of the R5, and among other things, I describe how this works.  It may help.  See: https://moonblink.info/MudLake/gear#R5  @04:29

correct, my solution had 2 parts, 1) switching modes and 2) configuring C3 so you can use the video record button while in photo mode.  we explained the same thing.

-jaewoo

When you say switch to video mode -How?

I pressed mode then info and the in menu  don't see video settings.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements