cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 - Focus using Screen in Video Mode not working?

SunnyG
Contributor

Hello

In Video mode I would like to use the Screen to touch and focus.
This when "Servo AF" is turned OFF.
So same functionality as pressing the AF-ON button or the shutter button.
Any ideas why this function is not working?

Moving the focus point on the screen to the right place and then having to press the AF-On button is a bit of a pain especially when the camera is on a gimbal.

Thanks for your ideas
Sunny

6 REPLIES 6

Danny

Hi, Sunny!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Thx. Camera Information aded.

Greetings SunnyG,

Thank you for providing us with the camera model. The EOS R5, similar to other Canon EOS cameras, will require for the user to press the shutter button halfway down or the AF-ON button to have the camera auto focus on the focus area that's selected after tapping on the subject's location the LCD screen. This is per design of the camera. We recommend on enabling Servo AF when the camera is in video mode for the best auto focus functionality of the camera.

I had the same issue with my 5D mrk IV.
Couldn't belive the function does not exist. And gave up after a while of doing research.
It is literally the first thing I was trying to to. And now moving to the R5 again the first thing.

Any reason why this so extremly handy function is not there? 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@SunnyG,

Which lens or lenses are you using that experience this behavior?  Provide the brand, model etc.

If these are EF lenses and are being adapted, please tell us the Brand and type of adapter you are using.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hello shadowsport

Thanks for your question.
Using EF lenses with canons ef-eos r adapter with controlring.
Do you think it matters if using EF or R lenses concerning this topic?
Best
Sunny

Announcements