cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Connectivity Issue

oruilio
Contributor

Hi guys,

My EOS R5 cannot connect to any device (Macbook, iPhone, iPad) to transfer images.

When it is connected to Macbook the EOS Utility 3 does not recognize it. Even sometimes EOS Utility 3 recognized it the error occurs during starting transferring images.

When it is connected to the iPhone or iPad through Canon's Camera Connect app a similar error would occur during starting transfer images from R5 to the mobile device and the connection would be lost.

All the applications from Mac or iOS devices are updated to the latest version. My R5 worked yesterday. I have no clue what has been changed.

Now I cannot transfer any image from R5 to other devices using any application made by Canon. All the methods told by Canon's website have been applied in attempts of solving the issue. I can connect the R5 to my iPad Pro and import the images in the Photo app, which works perfectly.

Is there anyone having a similar issue?

Updates on 09-26 2020:

After quite a while since the post was created on 08-13 the issue persists. Bluetooth connectivity never worked. WIFI connectivity can be successful but unstable. The "target not found" error frequently happens in R5 when EOS utility is being used to transfer images and videos via WIFI connectivity between R5 and Macbook pro (Catalina 10.15.6). After not using the wireless connectivity feature for weeks it might work once with no issue when I tried. Once it worked with no issue for once it becomes unstable and unusable with errors.

The worst part of this issue is that Canon may not be able to reproduce the same issue on their end. Moreover, it is not persistent. I can only hope that Canon will eventually find out the defect they introduce in the software or hardware and fix it in the later framework update.

Upddates on 04-05 2021:

My issue was mainly the unusable conectivity with any type of connection between the EOS R5 and the computer/iPhone/iPad including USB-C cable, wifi and bluetooth.

The issue was significant while the USB-C cable was not working. I couldn't use any feature from the EOS utility like taking live shots from control of the computer or importing any photos/videos from the camera to computer/mobile devices. I had to use card readers to import my work every time. Later, I found that Imagin Capture or Google Photo app can actually detect the photos from the R5 via USB-C connection though Canon's EOS utility cannot detect the camera. The issue ws definitely only caused by the code in EOS Utility app of both Mac and iOS versions, not the USB-C connectivity.

The USB-C cable connectivity started working since the update of firmware 1.2.0. There was no clude how it was fixed for my camera as there is nothing mentioned in the update notes related to the connectivity issue. It magically started working with no issues in the use of all features of EOS utility.

Even nowadays I still haven't tried to use any wireless connectivity of R5. I don't have the confidence in the stability any more. Instead of wasting time to debug any protential issue I am just always using the USB-C cable for the connectivity.

68 REPLIES 68

Finally it works.  I just installed the latest version of the BIOS for the 5R Ver 1.4.0 and was able to connect the Camera to my Windows 10 Desktop and my iPad. 

It took a year but I think they finally got it.

@oruilio wrote:

I had a technical session with a Canon support. He was super friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, the issue was not reproducible and it worked well with WIFI connectivity. Bluetooth connectivity never worked. However, it is not stable as it frequently fails to transfer images via WIFI.

Certainly, the wireless framework has issues. It is not reliable.

While I am not using an R5, in my experience Bluetooth has a very limited range, typically just a few feet.  Once you get more than a given distance, then communication degrades very quickly.  Bluetooth pairing is slso one of the easiest things to do.  Sometimes you need to simply tell a device to "forget" a connection, which will cause a weak connection to reset and restablish itself.  

The presence of other Bluetooth enabled devices can interfere with a Bluetooth pairing, too.  I wish I could tell you how many times I have been sitting at a red light, and my car GPS will connect to the smart phone in a nearby car.  I think people do this on purpose, looking for personal info to steal.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

oruilio
Contributor

Clearly. There is an issue with the Canon EOS Utility app in MacOS. When I connect my R5 to my laptop I can use Image Capture to import the photos with no problems. Wifi/bluetooth connectivity is also a frequent failure when my R5 connects to iOS devices via WIFI or bluetooth.

Make sure that you have the latest version of Canon Camera Connect.

there is no updates of Canon Camera Connect since 2 months ago in App Store for iOS. And the EOS Utility 3 on MacOS is also broken for R5 when it can work for my RP though.

@oruilio wrote:

there is no updates of Canon Camera Connect since 2 months ago in App Store for iOS. And the EOS Utility 3 on MacOS is also broken for R5 when it can work for my RP though.

I suggest that you contact Canon Support, 1-800-OK-CANON for US customers.

yirenng
Apprentice
I have this same problem trying to connect my R5 to the Camera Connect app on iOS. I'm trying bluetooth, and it fails at "No Target Found". Never connects.

Apertura86
Contributor

Has anyone found a fix or heard back from Canon support.

I'm an architectural photographer and on my second shoot with my new camera it was stuck on "Searching for access points" screen. My old 5DsR with the Wi-Fi card worked the entire shoot with no issues. R5 started working again when I left the location.

Like others have mentioned. I might be connected to some type of Wi-Fi mesh network (EERO beacons). It is unreasonable to can't ask clients / homeowners to turn off their routers to fix the issue. 

I have an Eero network at my house where this issue is happening. My R5 was working with clients when I was shooting their houses (just like you, architectural photographer here) but I was doing a shoot here at my place and my R5 and R6 are suddenly stuck.

@Zachary wrote:

I have an Eero network at my house where this issue is happening. My R5 was working with clients when I was shooting their houses (just like you, architectural photographer here) but I was doing a shoot here at my place and my R5 and R6 are suddenly stuck.

Don't you carry your own wireless access point?  

Some people have a security layer in their WAP, which only allows known MAC address to connect, which neither your laptop or camera can connect without having your MAC address aded to the list of known addresses.

Announcements