cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R3 Filming with IS on when using tripod results in 'wobbles'

natureinmotion
Apprentice

I previously used the 5D4 to film nature and wildlife. I usually use a tripod, and under windy conditions, I've always had the IS activated to counteract the wind shaking the lens. Never had any issues and it always worked. However, when I upgraded to the R3, I've noticed that I can no longer leave the IS on while mounted on a tripod. If I do, the footage 'stutters' or 'wobbles' or 'shakes.' It's only really noticeable when viewing on a computer but it's an issue. The R3 had the same results when paired with my older EF 500/4 v1 but it also does the same with my new RF 600/4. 

Is this an issue of the lens/camera not recognizing that it's mounted on a tripod? Maybe this could be fixed in a firmware update?

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

2 REPLIES 2

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi natureinmotion,

We do not recommend having Image Stabilization turned on while the camera is on a stable platform like a tripod. The image stabilization system is designed to counter shake from hand holding the camera. If the image stabilization system is still on while the camera is on a stable platform like a tripod the stabilizing elements will still be moving around expecting shake from hand holding. When that happens it can cause things like the wobble you are seeing.

That is the case for the EOS R3 and the EOS 5D Mark IV. I understand you said you didn't see it with the EOS 5D Mark IV, but the same issue can happen with that camera. Our cameras do not detect if they are being hand held or if they are on a tripod. Due to that we recommend turning off the stabilization when the camera is on a tripod.

Greatly appreciate the response. Not completely sure why I never experienced this before swapping to the R3 but I'm assuming it has to do with the IBIS in the mirrorless cameras. I have spoken to several other professional bird photographers/videographers and they've experienced the same (no issues with IS on tripods before migrating to mirrorless). Again, thank you for the clarification. Will just have to adjust and shoot-on!

Announcements