cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R not detected by PC via USB

dhammab
Contributor

Hello,

I've been trying to set up my camera for tethering, but when it's plugged into my PC (a windows 11 machine), via either a usb-c cable or a usb-c -> usb-3 cable, the camera doesn't even show up in the device manager. Usually in a situation like this I'd download a driver, but there are none available as far as I can tell. Needless to say, the camera also doesn't show up in either EOS Utility or Capture One. 

I've tried disconnected, reconnecting, restarting both the camera and the pc. Have tried it with the memory card both in and out of the camera. Have tried different USB ports. I'm using a direct connection to the PC. 

Any ideas what could be going wrong? I have a number of paid gigs coming up and need to be able to tether.

UPDATE:

After trying another usb-c cable, it immediately detected the camera. I have a feeling this may be related to power draw as someone posted below. Thank you for your help and advice, everyone. Gonna go pick up a new 15' cable and hope that's the end of this particular headache!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Can you please advise if you have successfully used this particular USB cable to tether before?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Is WiFi turned off?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I've tried with wifi turned both on and off.

Do you have access to a different computer or camera that would use the same cables? That would eliminate one variable. 

I had some strange (but different) behavior with my 1D X III that I resolved by removing the battery and actuating the shutter a few times to drain any charge. Put the battery back in and problem gone. May not work for you but free to try. 

You could also clear all camera settings. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

OK. I had problems having my 1D X Mark III connect to my W10 PC. It would only work with the cable that came with my camera, which was a double ended USB-C cable. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Canon have a  list of specific cables that work with various models of cameras.  You can find it HERE.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

R6mkiiMacroUser
Apprentice

Reading through the replies here is an interesting illustration of either an inability or an unwillingness of some people to listen to the actual question being asked. It could just be the result of the ego being bruised when challenged, and then people's positions becoming entrenched.

There is an issue that sometimes occurs in upgraded Windows 10 or 11 systems that causes the EOS camera bodies to not register as an MTP device. Here is a solution that works and allows tethering, file transfer, and all of the functions that the EOS 3 Utility offers.

https://youtu.be/dMyuG00o_dA

The other place to look is in the shortcut location. If you do a search for the EOS Utility app, it will sometime use the old shortcut location, if you had a previous older version that was upgraded. For Windows 11 machines, look in a location similar to this one for the correct executable:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EU3\EOS Utility 3.exe"

The incorrect shortcut would be pointed at the wrong executable for a "EU-Installset-W3.17.0.5" version install and would look like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EOS Utility"

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements