cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R EVF & LCD screen not working, but otherwise camera functional. Can I get EVF or LCD to work?

Geoff79
Contributor

Hi all,

With great sadness, today my camera fell onto rocks and into very shallow (fresh) water. It was on a tripod and made a very unpleasant noise, but for better or worse, didn't seem to be anything that hadn't happened before. No significant marks or physical damage. 

However, every time I turn the camera on now, the LCD screen flashes for under one second, then goes black. The viewfinder just doesn't work at all anymore, any time, even for a second. So I have two blank screens. Otherwise, the camera is fully functional, and I can blindly take photos that appear on the SD card when I upload to laptop. I can see and change shutter speed and aperture using dial and Mode ring, and I can scroll through Modes on the top screen, but that's all I can do. The camera still takes photos - I just can't see anything anymore. 

In searches earlier today I found some similar issues with people suggesting to connect the camera via HDMI cable to a TV or laptop and then change settings on that screen. I will try to find a mini to HDMI cable tomorrow in local shops to try this out, but I'm skeptical about what difference this will make. Will changing any settings on a laptop change what is happening with the camera? 

Any other time I'd send it off for repairs asap, but in the worst case of bad timing possible, I leave on Thursday for a photographic destination I may only ever visit once and I'm currently devastated that it's looking like I won't be able to bring this camera. 

Would be ever appreciative if anyone has any hints, suggestions or tips about how and if I can get either my EVF or LCD screen working again, or preferably both. 

I should add that following the incident, after turning it off and on repeatedly and getting the same results as above, I did turn it on a couple of times where just the LCD screen worked for a minute or so and I was able to take photos this way - but this was only once or twice, before neither the LCD or EVF worked again. 

Thanks so much for any help. 

12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Lens Rentals.  Guaranteed to turn on and not over expose your photos.  Hope it works out.  Enjoy your trip. 

shadowsports_0-1682306499478.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late one. Sadly, I'm based in Australia and prices are not even in the same ballpark as that at the places I looked into. I was looking at $360 for a weekend rental, so I trusted the old 70D. It was pretty frustrating to use, but photos were captured so it worked out okay. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Geoff,

Glad to hear the trip went well.  Hopefully now you can look into repair.  

Please share your photos in the Share section.  🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements