cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R Autofocus Advice needed

bradleysdigital
Contributor

Having focus problems when using  auto exposure bracketing (3 shot) The third exposure always comes out blurry. I am using a quality tripod and a shutter release. Also having focus issues on single shots. I shoot Real Estate for work, landscapes for fun.  I need photos focused from foreground to infinity. I have Tried setting camera at  F8, F11, F13 and still does not achieve a crisp sharp image..... Have tried one shot auto-focus and servo, Have tried continuos auto-focus on and off, and have tried various AF methods. This is a brand new EOS-R with the kit lens 24-105 F4 L IS  and i have done the Firmware update

1.4.0   ANY IDEAS????? Thank you.....

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@bradleysdigital wrote:

Having focus problems when using  auto exposure bracketing (3 shot) The third exposure always comes out blurry. I am using a quality tripod and a shutter release. Also having focus issues on single shots. I shoot Real Estate for work, landscapes for fun.  I need photos focused from foreground to infinity. I have Tried setting camera at  F8, F11, F13 and still does not achieve a crisp sharp image..... Have tried one shot auto-focus and servo, Have tried continuos auto-focus on and off, and have tried various AF methods. This is a brand new EOS-R with the kit lens 24-105 F4 L IS  and i have done the Firmware update

Set the lens to manual focus will cause all of the AEC shots to have the same focus lock.  I assume that you are doing this to capture a set of shots for an HDR image.  There is [no] such thing as automatic focus bracketing. 

If you need shots focused from the foreground to infinity, then you may need to perform focus stacking in post.  Do you understand how Depth-of-Field works?  What focal length are you using?  Are you familiar with "Hyperfocal Distnce"?

http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html 

I suspect your issues are user error.  Sorry.  But your complaints suggest that you do not understand some of the basics of photography, and commonly used post processing techniques like focus stacking.  If you are not using professinal image software like Photoshop for your professional work, then you are doing yourself a disservice.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

Thanks for your reply... I am using Auto EXPOSURE bracketing, yes for an HDR Image processed in lightroom. I am well aware of the depth of field charts and focal lengths and BLAH BLAH. However the basics of photography suggest that a lens that has an aperture range of F4 to F22 the best depth of field is achieved at the half way point in the aperture range(usually around F9-F11) and i didnt buy a 3,000 dollar camera to manually focus a basic Auto EXPOSURE bracketed shot. I use lightroom and photoshop for post processing, however i dont enjoy countless hours of focus stacking and image blending and all the other crap people have come up with, (you can get it done in the camera) P.S. Ive been shooting canon cameras since the AE-1 Program,,  so your right my basic understanding of photography has probably been forgotten in the last 30 years of shooting.... Thanks, Brad

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I think we need to see an example.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I think we need to see an example.

I agree.  I hope the example includes the EXIF metadata.

Repeat.................."I think we need to see an example."  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@bradleysdigital wrote:

Set the lens to manual focus will cause all of the AEC shots to have the same focus lock.  I assume that you are doing this to capture a set of shots for an HDR image.  There is [no] such thing as automatic focus bracketing. 

If you need shots focused from the foreground to infinity, then you may need to perform focus stacking in post.  Do you understand how Depth-of-Field works?  What focal length are you using?  Are you familiar with "Hyperfocal Distnce"?

http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html 

I suspect your issues are user error.  Sorry.  But your complaints suggest that you do not understand some of the basics of photography, and commonly used post processing techniques like focus stacking.  If you are not using professinal image software like Photoshop for your professional work, then you are doing yourself a disservice.

Thanks for your reply... I am using Auto EXPOSURE bracketing, yes for an HDR Image processed in lightroom. I am well aware of the depth of field charts and focal lengths and BLAH BLAH. However the basics of photography suggest that a lens that has an aperture range of F4 to F22 the best depth of field is achieved at the half way point in the aperture range(usually around F9-F11) and i didnt buy a 3,000 dollar camera to manually focus a basic Auto EXPOSURE bracketed shot. I use lightroom and photoshop for post processing, however i dont enjoy countless hours of focus stacking and image blending and all the other crap people have come up with, (you can get it done in the camera) P.S. Ive been shooting canon cameras since the AE-1 Program,,  so your right my basic understanding of photography has probably been forgotten in the last 30 years of shooting.... Thanks, Brad

@bradleysdigital wrote:

Thanks for your reply... I am using Auto EXPOSURE bracketing, yes for an HDR Image processed in lightroom. I am well aware of the depth of field charts and focal lengths and BLAH BLAH.

However the basics of photography suggest that a lens that has an aperture range of F4 to F22 the best depth of field is achieved at the half way point in the aperture range(usually around F9-F11) and i didnt buy a 3,000 dollar camera to manually focus a basic Auto EXPOSURE bracketed shot.

I use lightroom and photoshop for post processing, however i dont enjoy countless hours of focus stacking and image blending and all the other crap people have come up with, (you can get it done in the camera) P.S. Ive been shooting canon cameras since the AE-1 Program,,  so your right my basic understanding of photography has probably been forgotten in the last 30 years of shooting.... Thanks, Brad

The statement in the bold text is patently incorrect.  Many lenses are their sharpest in the midrange of their aperture settings, typically around f/8.  As far as "best depth of field" goes, that is pretty subjective, and entirely up to the creativity of the photographer.

You should post a photo that demonstrates your issue.  If you can, include the EXIF metadata in the JPG file  I am rally curious as what focal length you are using.  Personally, I suspect that there is nothing wrong with your camera or lens.  

I like to shoot landscapes and cityscapes.  I have never done indoor architectural, or real estate, photography.  But, after hours of testing my camera inside of the house, I think I have a pretty good idea of how to capture indoor shots.  I would want to use a super wide angle lens, somewhere in the 14-16mm range.

3DC3741F-96FA-4F81-9F81-62142CE5E451.jpeg

The above shot was made at 14mm, with the lens manually focused to the hyperfocal distance.  I was about a car length away from the house.  Notice the branches on the right are also in focus.  With the aperture set to f/8, at this focal length everything from about a foot away to infinity will be in focus when the hyperfocal distnce is dialed in on th focus ring.  

Using a 24mm lens set to f/8, everything beginning at about 4 feet to infinity will be in focus.  At f/11, everything from about 3 feet to infinity should be in focus.  This is why I am curious to see a photo that demonstrates your issue.

Waddizzle's photo is an excellent example of how to do it right. My wife and I shoot as partners, and we use similar techniques. This link goes to our current exhibition of landscape photos, most of which are 5 shot brackets, but in our case, the hyperfocal point was auto focused using a single center point and then the shot recomposed with the shutter half down and the five exposures made thereafter. Lately, we have been using manual focus more.  Most of the shots were hand-held due to the extensive walking involved and not wanting to carry a tripod to every location. Aperture priority mode is critical. We mostly used an iso setting that kept shutter speeds reasonably fast for all of the brackets. We used a 6D with a 17-40mm L attached. I know this thread is about the EOS R, but the fundamental priniples apply no matter what the camera.

"I didnt buy a 3,000 dollar camera to manually focus a basic Auto EXPOSURE bracketed shot."

Actually, one of the best ways to capture a bracketed shot is to lock down the focus by shooting in manual focus mode.  Simply half-press the shutter to lock focus, then switch the lens to manual focus.  Now take your bracketed shots.  I assume you are using a tripod.  

Sorry,  if it sounded like I meant to manually focus the lens.  However, if you manually focused in Live View by using the 10X feature, combined with mirror lockup, will probably yield the sharpest images.

" i didnt buy a 3,000 dollar camera to manually focus a basic Auto EXPOSURE bracketed shot."

Even a $3000 dollar camera needs to be used correctly. It can't do everything. It sounds like you have a fairly simple job at hand and have a good camera and tripod.  You also have good post editing software, PS and LR.  This all has to work together. All great photos go through PS and/or LR.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements