cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 - Not applying Peripheral Illumination corrections in Camera

AiDon
Contributor

I have a EOS M50 and I find that the in camera JPEG doesn't have the Peripheral Illumination Corrections correctly applied. All other corrections such as Diffraction, CS's, Color Blur and distortion seem to be correctly applied for the EF-M 22mm f/2 USM lens. I can apply the lens corrections in DPP and it applies everything correctly.

As I purchased it from Canon Australia I raised the issue with them and received this strange explanation:

We got a response from the other department and as they advised they checked on the sample photo that to apply peripheral correction the files must be RAW file because RAW contain the necessary data to enable correction. Using JPEG it is not possible and of course the in camera correction and the PC (using Digital Photo Professional) is different and the camera does not have the processing power just like the PC or software has, in camera processing is for simply processing. 

I really haven't come across this before with Canon cameras, is there any reason why the lens vignetting isn't completly removed in the camera. Note I don't shoot any Special Scenes and Image Effects just Manual with RAW+JPEG but I was expecting that normal JPEGs produced in camera would have lens correction data applied.

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What lens?

@kvbarkley wrote:

What lens?

EF-M 22mm f/2 STM lens.

AndyMilnePhotog
Enthusiast

I have an EOS M50 and I find that the in camera JPEG doesn't have the Peripheral Illumination Corrections correctly applied. All other corrections such as Diffraction, CS's, Color Blur and distortion seem to be correctly applied for the EF-M 22mm f/2 USM STM lens.

In the pdf manual on the EOS M50, go to Shooting Settings section 1 of the menu where it says Lens Aberration Correction, touch on that and it will show the correction profiles available with your 22mm f/2 STM. Next, touch Peripheral Illumination Correction & touch enable to activate the correction. Take a test picture on Auto or whatever mode you're on & see what happens.  

If the correction is still not applied properly, I would reset the camera settings to their defaults & reapply/re-enable all corrections. Rinse & repeat.

Also, try another lens to see if it applies the  peripheral correction there.

Andrew
Nature Photography Hobbyist / Enthusiast
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

@AndyMilnePhotog

In the pdf manual on the EOS M50, go to Shooting Settings section 1 of the menu where it says Lens Aberration Correction, touch on that and it will show the correction profiles available with your 22mm f/2 STM. Next, touch Peripheral Illumination Correction & touch enable to activate the correction. Take a test picture on Auto or whatever mode you're on & see what happens.  

If the correction is still not applied properly, I would reset the camera settings to their defaults & reapply/re-enable all corrections. Rinse & repeat.

Also, try another lens to see if it applies the  peripheral correction there.

I understand all of that as I have used Canon camers for 20 years.

The issue here is that Canon support (Australia) are saying that the in camera corrections are not the same as the DPP corrections therefore, implied, these corrections cannot be applied. See the first quote:

"the in camera correction and the PC (using Digital Photo Professional) is different and the camera does not have the processing power just like the PC or software has, in camera processing is for simply processing."

I don't have this issue with other lenses, including L series ones that I use, and, in this case, the images were shot wide open at f/2 but I am just not sure why Canon is saying that not correcting the Peripheral Illumination vingetting in-camera is acceptable. 

Note that is is partially corrected but not 100%. Also the firmware is up to date for the camera and there are no updates for the lens.

Sorry, did not read your post closely.

According to Ken Rockwell, it *is* corrected. Can you show us an example?

https://kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-m/22mm-f2.htm

@kvbarkley wrote:

Sorry, did not read your post closely.

According to Ken Rockwell, it *is* corrected. Can you show us an example?

https://kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-m/22mm-f2.htm

Sure, here is one uploaded to Google drive ...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BcZyH8oB3jXXZh5_frpEWEDWMzkYJL7W/view?usp=sharing

Unfortunatly the answer that support in Australia gave is really not acceptable if it is Canon's stance and not just a to-hard explanation. And I am not saying there isn't good support in Australia just that maybe the front line enquiry's are not being handled correctly, and support is country based so the areas where I would be able to get a proper answer, say USA & Japan, are not open to other regions (not a complaint just an observation).

Unfortunately Canon refuse to confirm or deny anything except for saying the following latest statement:

"In camera processing is for basic and simple processing, and Peripheral Illumination corrections must be done while the image is in its non altered, compressed, or manipulated form. Hence in order to apply Peripheral Illumination corrections, you will need to shoot in RAW format and use Digital Photo Professional to process them."

Unfortunatly it is hard to accept that when you shoot RAW + JPEG that lens corrections are not applied to the resulting JPEG image. In my case it is only the EF-M 22mm F2 STM where this happens, other lenses I have no problems with and the EF-M 22mm F2 STM the lack of Peripheral Illumination corrections is obvious at F2.

I find it hard to believe but the most frustrating thing is that Canon support refuse to provide reasonable explanation and are seemingly just dismissing the enquiry as unimportant.

And there is no recourse if Canon ignores you ...

Announcements