cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M cannot read or format card (over 200 pics previously taken on same card)

petewallace1959
Contributor

My relatively new EOS M (in which I put a 128GB ultima PRO X card in) can no longer read the card. The camera won't allow me to format the card either? The camera has been working perfectly previously and I've taken around 200 piccies with it without any problem?

Has anyone else had this problem?

12 REPLIES 12

Ditto, it had me worried yesterday 🙂

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@petewallace1959 wrote:

I took out 128GB card (Intregra Ultima PRO X) which the EOS M told me it could no longer work with (although it has worked perfectly with for the last month or so), and I replaced it with a SanDisk Ultra 32GB card, which apparently, the EOS M is now all cozy with and it appears to be reading fine - fingers crossed 🙂

Did you ever successfully format the card in the camera, or did you just start using it as it came from the factory? If the latter, maybe it took the camera a while to realize that the card is too big for it to handle. In that case the card might start working again if you were to low-level format it on a computer.

... and then do a regular format in the camera, which causes it to create the default set of folders.

I don't think you have to format the card to get it to create the folders. A camera will often create a new folder if it sees a card that has been partially written by another camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@petewallace1959 wrote:

I took out 128GB card (Intregra Ultima PRO X) which the EOS M told me it could no longer work with (although it has worked perfectly with for the last month or so), and I replaced it with a SanDisk Ultra 32GB card, which apparently, the EOS M is now all cozy with and it appears to be reading fine - fingers crossed 🙂

Did you ever successfully format the card in the camera, or did you just start using it as it came from the factory? If the latter, maybe it took the camera a while to realize that the card is too big for it to handle. In that case the card might start working again if you were to low-level format it on a computer.

... and then do a regular format in the camera, which causes it to create the default set of folders.

I don't think you have to format the card to get it to create the folders. A camera will often create a new folder if it sees a card that has been partially written by another camera.

Maybe not, but formatting in the camera will also "erase" any existing folders on the card.  It's also probably a good test to see if the camera can work with the higher capacity card, or not.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
click here to view the gallery
Announcements