cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 80D How to Instantly Save Images to Computer While Tethered

beezersh
Apprentice

Hello friends.  First post, so thanks for your patience.  I am an amateur photographer with a small basement studio. 

I'd like to try tethering to allow clients to view live shots on my Mac vs. in my camera viewfinder. I don't need to edit or organize in any way. I just want to be able to shoot and review pictures on a larger screen than my LCD.  

Equipment: Canon 80D, tethered to Mac book Pro mid 2012, OSX El Capitan ver. 10.11.6.  The 80D has the firmware updated to 1.0.3 (Aug 6, 2019). I have the Canon DPP4 installed along with the EOS utility 3. 

The computer reads the camera and I can adjust all settings, fire the shutter, and view in live mode.  However, when I take a photo it only shows up on the camera's SD card.  It never shows up on the quick view and doesn't go to the designated folder I selected on the Mac (I just used a subfolder from within the pictures folder). 

Is it possible to shoot photos and expect them to show up so I can quickly toggle through images to show clients?  I'm completely new to this, so I'm not sure of my next steps.   I should mention that for editing, I use a PC and Adobe Lightroom.  But my PC is not near my studio so I can't use it for tethering.  Thanks for any pointers. 

5 REPLIES 5

Michaelhunt
Contributor

Even, I am experiencing same issue. My issue is that The EOS Utility for Canon cameras allows the transfer of images stored in the Camera to a computer running the EOS Utility over WiFi. And this EOS Utility can be configured to transfer only those images not already in the destination folder. Is there a way to automatically transfer the image from the camera to the computer each time a new photo is taken with the camera.

@Michaelhunt wrote:

Even, I am experiencing same issue. My issue is that The EOS Utility for Canon cameras allows the transfer of images stored in the Camera to a computer running the EOS Utility over WiFi. And this EOS Utility can be configured to transfer only those images not already in the destination folder. Is there a way to automatically transfer the image from the camera to the computer each time a new photo is taken with the camera.

Sounds like you want this:

Screenshot 2023-01-10 095225.jpg

Go to the suport page for your camera and download the EOS Utility manual. I have never tried to tether my camera to EOSU via Wi-Fi, but I would assume this would work if you are downloading via Wi-Fi.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Michaelhunt,

If I'm not mistaken, the only way to do this is tethered via cable.  I've not tried over wireless.

Remote Shooting:

Canon : Product Manual : EOS Utility : Remote Live View Shooting (start.canon)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is how I do it. It works very well but I am a WIndows user and not a Mac so who knows. I use Lightroom's tether tool. I also use an active USB cable. Turn the camera on after plugging it up to the computer and start the LR tether tool. It will find the camera. All shots got to both the camera SD card and to the laptop.

And active USB cable lets you be a much longer distance from the laptop. 75 feet isn't a problem but 10 feet with a normal USB can be. I have not tried any of the newer cameras with wi-fi but the older wi-fi is almost useless for this. No, I should say it is useless for this.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@michaelhunt,

All 3 of us basically responded with the same info.  John and I with the EU manual (tethering option) 🤣 and Ernie stating the same, use a cable.  Tethered you can save images using the EU, Lr tethered or CaptureOne if thats your thing.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements