cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D lens and accessory compatibility with EOS M50 Mark II

Kaplang
Contributor

Will the Canon lens I use with my EOS 7D be compatible with the Canon EOS M50 Mark II ? And what about the battery, memory and wired remote shutter button? 
I’m considering getting the M50 if the 7D accessories and lens will transfer 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I am now the owner of an R50. Time will tell if I got good advice and made the right decision. Either way Canon is working hard to make it obsolete.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33

Do you work for Canon?

I do not.  But I, and my guess most, highly value compatibility.  You also get what you pay for.  If you want to deal with all the unknowns and headaches, it's your money.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

March411
Rising Star

Depending on what lenses you own and the new body you purchase simply be aware of the full frame vs crop sensor challenge. Some of my Sigma lenses will not work on my full frame 5D IV but are fantastic on my M50 and 90D.

When looking at the EF To RF Adapter you may be better off watching reviews on YouTube or a location off the Canon site. I have used both third party and Canon direct with great success. Viltrox EF was/is highly reviewed for Canon EF.  Canon has put the claps down on third parties with regard to the RF mount but some stuff has been making it's way to market. B&H Photo has some equipment available ..... or did last week.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for post processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

@March411 wrote:

Depending on what lenses you own and the new body you purchase simply be aware of the full frame vs crop sensor challenge. Some of my Sigma lenses will not work on my full frame 5D IV but are fantastic on my M50 and 90D.

When looking at the EF To RF Adapter you may be better off watching reviews on YouTube or a location off the Canon site. I have used both third party and Canon direct with great success. Viltrox EF was/is highly reviewed for Canon EF.  Canon has put the claps down on third parties with regard to the RF mount but some stuff has been making it's way to market. B&H Photo has some equipment available ..... or did last week.

@March411 wrote:

Could you please post a link to these great reviews that you’ve mentioned?  THX

Canon ordered all third party manufacturers of RF-EF mount adapters to pull their products from the market.  Why?  Because they did not work.  Because they were damaging cameras.  Because users were blaming Canon for bad gear.  I would speculate that their service centers were being a bit overwhelmed, too.

I agree with the advice to stick to the Canon mount adapters, most particularly for the RF mount and EF lenses.  

Here is a price comparison of current list prices between EF/EF-M and EF/RF adapters.  I would advise buying the EF to RF mount adapter with the control ring.  Curiously, though.  I bought the control ring adapter, and then programmed the camera to disable it.

B8D4EC94-43E6-4315-810B-AF78AEC2B0C4.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

One further tidbit that you should be aware of, the mount adapters for the M series bodies are not very strong.  They do not support much weight.  It is highly advisable that you keep the lens supported at all times.  Do not allow any lens using a mount adapter on an M series body to “hang” from the camera body, especially any lens that uses a tripod mount.

On the other hand, the EF-RF mount adapter is designed to support heavier lenses.  Of course, the same rule applies to supporting the weight of any lens that has a tripod foot.  This is a best practice with or without a mount adapter.

[EDIT] added link to Viltrox article/thread 

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4535170 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

March411
Rising Star

You do know that google is your friend, it will help you find those reviews that you so desperately want to see, several on YouTube. Personally I don't come here to be at your beck and call. It's simple, just search.

And Viltrox EF-M lenses also had positive reviews.

And your tidbit on the mount adapters could not be further from the truth. I have had lenses as large as 600mm mounted on my M50. Looks a bit weird and you carry from the lens but I never had a problem and achieve some excellent images. But handling and caring for your equipment responsibly should be part of the program.

Sometimes you and your "colleagues" make statements that are absent of an individuals current or past practical application. When a statement is made like "The term buy right, buy once and buy wrong, buy twice definitely applies here." It is completely void of their knowledge of what a persons purpose or intent is when looking to purchase a particular piece of equipment.   

And the Viltrox EF-EOS M Lens Mount Adapter for Canon also had/has a tripod adapter.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for post processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@Kaplan:
Without bias, and with all due respect, I was wondering what has brought you to want the M50 specifically

Given that it may be very difficult for you to find a new one - although they are likely on the used market - if you want another solution that fits your needs, I would be interested to know what those needs are, and what alternatives (if you can't source what you currently seek) could be a valid solution for you.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

This may be more information then you want but here it is anyways. Spent several years as a commercial industrial photographer. Brochures, catalogs and the like. Did some portraits and weddings also. This was long before any digital photography was even considered. I used several formats. 4x5, 120 and 35mm depending on the subjects. When I left the profession mid 90s and moved to computer technology I was completely  buried out on anything that had to do with photography. Sold off all my equipment except for a 35mm camera that was a gift from my parents. Fast forward to 2019. I wanted to get back into photography in an artistic only level. Did a little research and came up with a 7D that I purchased used. It’s been OK for my needs but I want something smaller that doesn’t have as many whistles and bells as the 7D because I don’t need that. I think the main reason I’m looking at the M50 is it’s small. Probably has more then I need in features and is more in my price range

isn’t the M50 Canons first entry into the mirror less DSLR?

Thank you for your response.  It's always good to get as much context as possible, and I can relate to your experience.  I started back in 1980, doing initially industrial photography but quickly moved into stock shooting for wildlife and travel as I made my way around the planet.  As time went on I continued part time, also doing commercial and some other kinds are opportunities allowed, as I got involved in careers with a steady income as I got married and had responsibilities!  I too went into IT and retired from that in 2013, but I always had photography simmering in the background. I went digital early in the century (heavens that sounds a long time ago!) and have been shooting that way since.  I have similar experience with 35mm (mostly Ektachrome transparency, but also some B+W), a range of brands of 35mm (but mostly Nikon and Canon, and some 4x5 stuff as assignments required.  These days I predominantly shoot Canon, but also use Fuji, Nikon, Olympus and Sony.

I think I understand your challenge.  I too like more basic functions, but they tend to be a part of every camera these days.  It was for that reason I fell in love with the Nikon Df camera - a design by Totsuro Goto, who designed my first DSLRs, as his swansong and a love affair with simple, stills-only cameras.  I have three and will never sell them!

However, we are here at Canon, and right now the camera you preferred is just not available.  Canon have been withdrawing from both the DSLR and M-MILC markets for a while.  I actually still have two EOS M5 bodies, which are better for stills photography that the M50 series, which was more for hybrid or vloggers because of its bias of controls in that direction.  I too valued them for their lightness and compact form factor, especially when I had serious mobility issues and could barely walk.

Thus, if you are prepared to look elsewhere, the R-series is where the action is as far as camera and optical development are concerned, so really as a practical platform in terms of support and longevity, that would be the way to go. 
Much depends on what we use the camera for, so some guidance on what subjects you shoot and any other preferences would be helpful.  I am not sure what you will produce and that is also significant.  As I constantly say, the requirements to produce for social media and digital display are somewhat less than for high-resolution, very large, Fine Art prints for sale, for example.

I shoot in a relatively simple way, much as I did 40+ years ago.  I should explain that my preferred genre is still wildlife, but since retiring have expanded both my range and camera FoV to include other subjects one will find in a city.  Still, with wild animals in mind I do value things like improved focusing, including the ability to follow eyes and faces, In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) as I tend to shoot with long lenses, hand-held. Still, I can just as happily work without some of those features - I still actually shoot on occasion with the Canon D30 (circa 2000) and D60 (2002) to remind myself it's more about technique than tech!   You may favour other characteristics and that's good to know.

The next major question is really whether to stick with an APS-C sensor or go full-frame.  Personally, although I owned both of the 7D series bodies and liked them, I have chosen to go with a FF body, the quality of image is just that much better IMHO.    The MILC bodies are now much lighter and more compact without incorporating the pentaprism and mirror mechanism, so you will still gain benefits there in both areas.   You will still need to get an adapter, but that would have been the case with going to the M-series, so no issue there and they are widely available.  So, with the R-series a lot of the weight will be in your lenses, which again would have been the case with the M platform.

I shall hold back on going into more specific suggestions and look for guidance as to:
A budget value - no point in suggesting stuff you can't afford but also good to know how far I can look
What you prefer to shoot
What you prefer to produce in terms of medium
Any specific constraints in terms of weight, controls etc.  I acknowledge your preferences with regard accessories but fear you may be out of luck there.
What lenses you currently use - and in particular, do you have any EF-S lenses?

What I hope to do is take all this info and offer you a couple of suggestions with features and benefits in the context of your shooting style and preferences.  I hope this will an acceptable approach.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

What you described with size and features. The R50 is pretty much the same as M50 mk ii with RF mount. The R50 is leighter but slightly thicker than M50 k2. It is also about the same price as the M50 mk2 at places that still have stock.

With the R50 you would be able to use EF/EF-S and RF/RF-S lenses. You would be stuck with used EF/EF-S and EF-M with the M50. The new RF-S lenses are slightly bigger than EF-M, but smaller than EF-S lenes.

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-R50-vs-Canon-EOS-M50-Mark-II 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements