cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D Mark II Vs. 70D

sameersachdeva
Contributor

Hi All,

I am a hobbyist (IT techie by profession) and would like to know which one should I go for - EOS 7D Mark II or 70D? I already have EOS 600D for last three years and lenses - 135mm kit lens, Canon 100mm macro, Tokina Wide angle and Tamron 400mm AF. However, I have got my 600D repaired twice in last 1 - 2 years (board changed both the times due to some technical issue - Canon service center did not provide me with the details). I have already spent few bucks on repair services so want to upgrade to a better one.

I typically shoot landscapes, macros, street photography, Portraits (just started) and astrophotography. I would like to grow my photography skills further for exhibitions and online selling esp. start with Bird and wildlife photography. I am fine with the budget for both DSLRs. I am still giving second thoughts of going for 70D and invest the remaining amount in Tamron 600mm.

Please suggest which one will fit in my requirement.

Regards,

Sameer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

IMHO, the two cameras are not comparable.  If the 7D Mk II is in the budget, go for it.  This isn't even a choice.

There is no Tamron 600mm?  Do you mean the 150-600mm zoom?  Tamrom makes very few prime lenses but the 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD has a $70 rebate until the end of the month.  It is an outstanding lens for the money.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

If you're OK with the higher price, I'd say by all means buy the 7D2. You already have a decent assortment of lenses; you can delay getting the 600mm until your budget has recovered from the camera purchase.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

IF you think you'll add action photography to your hobby or very low light situations the 7D2 is the one to buy. The AF system is VERY GOOD but there is a learning curve to it vs previous cameras. It also has 10 FPS and even though I always shoot large fine jpg + RAW to date I've only once (and I'm not even sure I had) filled the buffer while shooting a rather long burst.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

IMHO, the two cameras are not comparable.  If the 7D Mk II is in the budget, go for it.  This isn't even a choice.

There is no Tamron 600mm?  Do you mean the 150-600mm zoom?  Tamrom makes very few prime lenses but the 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD has a $70 rebate until the end of the month.  It is an outstanding lens for the money.

EB

Thanks for the reply.

My friend suggested to go for 6D instead of 7D since 70D or 600D are more or less the same and even 7D also has 18MP processor and cropped only. Also, is canon about to release 6D Mark II in Jan-Feb'16?

I am making up my mind for 7D Mark II with 135mm STM lens. The only feature that I dislike is its fixed live view screen that I actually appreciate in 600D or 70D for its flip etc.

Please suggest.

Thanks! 

Sameer

"... 7D since 70D or 600D are more or less the same ..."

This is utter nonsense and not a bit true.  A camera is way more than just the sensor it has.  In the first place the 70D and Rebel T3i are amateur cameras.  Whereas the 7D and its new brother the 7D Mk II are pro level cameras.  They are built very much better.  Metal vs plastic!  The electronics are not even close either. A camera is a sum of its specs not a single one like just the sensor.

By 135mm STM lems, do you mean the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS ? It would be OK for the 70D or 600D but I wouldn't get it for or with a 7D or 7D Mk II.  Again consumer (amateur vs pro) quality.  It is best to keep your gears equal.

"Also, is canon about to release 6D Mark II in Jan-Feb'16?"

Who knows?  Do you want to start shooting today or do you want to wait and see if that becomes true?  Maybe they don't. Now what do you do, wait another couple months?  I would rather get it today and start enjoying it today.

EB
Announcements