cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 70D Black blotches on top LCD screen

Cazzy1
Apprentice

Hi Everyone

I have a Canon 70D and noticed it has a black blotch on bleed on the top LCD screen. I have attached some photos, where you can see it on the top right of the screen. Does anyone know what this is and how it can be fixed?

20240914_104446.jpg

Many thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Damage like this Is usually the result of an impact or tremendous amount of pressure being put on the screen.  Heat or leaving the camera in the sun might also cause something like that.  

For this to be fixed, the entire top assembly of the camera has to be replaced.  This might cost anywhere from $300 to $600.  

I don't know if the 70D is still serviceable.  You can check by registering the camera in the My Canon portal.  There you can initiate a repair request. Describe the issue and you will receive an estimate and learn if the camera is still repairable.  

You can buy a used 70D in excellent condition for about $330.  You'll have to check and see if repair is possible or makes sense.  Personally, I would use this opportunity to upgrade.  A newer body like an R50 with an EF to EOS, R adapter would be a much better investment.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for taking the time to reply Rick.  Camera still works but if its an expensive repair, I will save for an upgrade. 

As Rick noted, it would be an expensive repair.  Some LCD units are just prone to this "bleeding" with time so it may not have been anything you have done to it.  There are quite a few different models of fairly high end test gear that are known for having the display do this, probably either a manufacturing process or fault is often responsible.

I have never owned a 70D but if a critical part of the status display is in the damaged area, it might be something that can also be shown in the viewfinder so check your manual.  I shoot primarily Canon 1 series and the viewfinder information has a lot of setup options and I would imagine that lower level models probably have at least some of this functionality.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Cheers Rodger. It was strange as this bleed just appeared. But I have had the camera for quite a number of years now. So may just be wear and tear. Thankfully I had her out today and she was taking photos ok. I will just need to adapt and look at the other screens from now on. Thanks again.

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Although an inconvenience, this alone will not stop your camera from functioning.  You can still shoot with the information in the viewfinder and LCD display at the back.   I have that  top display on multiple cameras like the 5DsR and 80D, but, TBH, I don't really look at the them that often and they are not features of the excellent R6 series of MILC cameras, so the display is not mission-critical and you can hopefully work around it.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks Trevor. Thankfully the camera still works and I will just have to adapt as I do use that top screen quite a bit. But all is not lost. Helpful to know this has happened to you and things have been ok afterwards. Appreciate your reply. 

Announcements