cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D dark band across bottom of images with EF 70-300mm lens

mjtatntrek
Contributor

Hi everyone, just started having image issues today in the form of a dark band covering about 25% of my images. It's darker at the bottom (in landscape format) and fades back to the correct colour image at about one-quarter height. If I use vertical format, the band is along the lhs or rhs depending on how I hold the camera. The annoying thing is that it only happens when I use my EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS USM lens with my Canon 6D body. If I use this body with a different lens - no problem. Similarly if I use the lens with a different body (my 500D), no problem. I've contacted Canon UK and have been asked to wait for their answer. Would appreciate some advice. (NB - I'm not using flash for the problem images).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The lens will now be sent to Canon UK for repair with an estimated cost of around $140.  Thank you all for your time and contributions. Best wishes, Mike, Wales, UK.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Can you post an example?

Can you see it in the viewfinder? You might try turning off all error correction for this lens.

Sounds like something strange in the lens. However, since there is nothing straight inside a lens, I am not sure what it could be.

You might try to look into the camera and see if you see any loose felt or plastic.

IMG_5397.jpeg

mjtatntrek
Contributor

Thank you for your comments. Keep in mind that the lens is fine with my 500D camera and the 6D camera is fine with other lenses.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Note that the 500D is EF-S and has a smaller image circle than the 6D.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't try to install that lens on the 6D camera, you risk damaging your camera. Your camera uses EF lenses, not EF-S lenses.

That lens is just an example of the issue, the lens under discussion is the EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS USM

You explained it just before I did. Thanks!

The image is of an EF-S lens I own, not the EF lens causing the problem.  I’m using the image to show the problem. I am hope to sell it, hence the reason for taking the image, using the 70-300mm zoom that’s causing the issue.

Just to add that the 70-300 mm zoom lens is the L version.

Announcements