cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Mark II Not in focus

tzerca
Apprentice

Hi,

I have a lot of images that I have taken with my Canon EOS 6D Mark II but when I come home to edit the photos, it's a lot of blurred photos, photos with bad quality or they are just blurry (because of movement), and I can't understand how it's possible because when I'm outside to photograph, it's not easy to see in the photos, but on the Mac at home, it's much more easier to watch if you watch closely. I often use 100 in ISO all the day, except for the evening/night when it's more dark, then I can rise it to 400, 800 or 1600 in ISO, and maybe the aperture-number to lowest (2,8). Often in the day during summer and nice weather, I'm using 100 in ISO and aperture between 18 and 22, sometimes 5 or 8, but often high aperture and low ISO.

Is it something I'm doing wrong?

Best regards,
Gerhard

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You have not provided enough info to give you definitive resposns.  Can you post a sample image of the issue you are having?

Are you using a tripod?  What is your shutter speed?  What lens and focal length are you using?  Try to include the EXIF sample in the sample image.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hello.

1. Can you post a few original files to Dropbox or One Drive so we can see them?

2. What shooting mode are you using?

3. Are there particular reasons why you are “shotgunning” your camera settings”?

4. Try setting your camera to “P” mode and see what results you get.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Agreed that more information is needed.  Blurry images can result in one or more of the following:

• Shutter speed is too slow for the action you're trying to capture.
  • You are moving the camera while shooting.
  • Your subject is moving (especially either closer to or further away from the camera after focus was achieved)
  • Your depth-of-field is very shallow and the focus point was at the wrong location (e.g. a person's tip of the nose instead of their eye)
--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is what you need to do.............

Reset the 6D Mk II. Menus>tools>clear all settings and clear all custom settings. You need to be at a base standard starting point.

Now put the 6D2 in P mode. Select daylight WB.  Select ISO 200. One shot never Ai-servo and use just the center focus point. Large jpg. Consult your manual if you don't know how to set these. Lens switch on AF not MF.  Use one of your normal FL range lenses like a 24-70mm, etc.  Remember, always put that center focus point on your subject. Don't change any other setting

Now on a nice bright sunny day go outside and take several (the more the better) random shots of lots of different things. Trees, buildings, parks, cityscape, cars, people just random stuff. You don't even need to look at the LCD screen during this test. Now u/l to your computer and check out the photos. If they are nice and OK there is nothing wrong with your gear. That means the problem is either your technique or incorrect settings. If the photos are still blurry, you have a lens problem or camera issue. Keep in mind you must do these steps above exactly as I have stated them. Do not vary and make sure you do each one exactly.

BTW, I would d/l the free from Canon DPP4 if you already don't have it for viewing your photos.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

All the "guessing" above is meaningless until we know there is no gear problem. Good luck.

EB

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The information you gave above is lacking the details the Ricky referred to, in particular shutter speed.  It would also be helpful to post a couple of examples so we can see what you are seeing.  If necessary send a link via a drive-sharing system so we can see the images in full resolution.  If you know have access to Photoshop, then do a screen-copy of a couple of images with the File Info screen as follows:

with an image on screen
select File from the menu
select File Info from the list to display the Info display
select Camera Data - from the list on the left - you should be able to get a display in this format:

PS File Info Screen.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The information you gave above is lacking the details the Ricky referred to, ..."

And totally meaningless if there is a gear problem. That has to be eliminated first. Guessing and it is just guessing at what the OP may be doing wrong or right with settings is futile until we know the gear is working as it should. OP needs to do the test first.

EB

Kristi
Apprentice

I have the same problem.  I thought I was not setting the camera properly but I am.  I believe it is the camera.  I am going to have to send it in.  So disappointed.  I have read a few reviews that other people have the same problem with this model.  I am upset as this was expensive for me to buy and now I will have no camera unless I rent one.    

On an aside, I owned the 6D2 for over 5 years.  Super sharp for me.  Camera's usually do what we tell them.  Don't be quick to assume there is a design flaw or problem.  Having a camera inspected by Canon during its service life is not a bad idea, especially If it was purchased used.

If you'd like our assistance, please start a new thread with info about your body and lenses, the troubleshooting steps you performed and some sample RAW images.  We'd be happy to look at them for you.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements