cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Lack of Sharpness

RobRich
Contributor

I am a novice but I notice my 6D images aren’t as sharp as my old EOS Rebel XSi. I’ve tried different lenses, tripods, etc. the image in the view finder even looks sharper to me. Has anyone noticed this before?Rebel xsiRebel xsi6d6d

17 REPLIES 17

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I took a quick look. I agree with your observation.

Screenshot 2024-03-03 141320.jpg

The EF-S 55-250 is a sharp lens. The EF 75-300 is not one of canon's better lenses. Do you have a different lens that you could use on both bodies?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I switched to a 70-300 L lens. The photos now look pretty much the same. But I still think the 6D doesn't focus as well as the Rebel. Maybe I'm imagining it.

You can evaluate that. Set up on a tripod. Focus on an object using the viewfinder in One Shot AF. Switch to Live View and see if the image is in focus. It is possible, though not likely, that the viewfinder focusing system needs to be calibrated. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks - i will try that

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I took a look at the JPEGs you linked in Lightroom.

The Rebel used AI Servo and looks like it locked on a multi-color area with contrast.

Focus XSi.jpg

The camera also recorded data on distance to object.

The 6D reports One Shot focus on the white part of the cat, but that area has minimal contrast and the camera didn't record any distance info. I wonder if it is a focus issue more so than a sharpness issue?

Focus 6D.jpg

Can you try a different subject and have the settings on both cameras the same?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Peter
Authority
Authority

A good start https://support.usa.canon.com/resources/sites/CANON/content/live/ARTICLES/175000/ART175504/en_US/AF_...

Especially the part preparation.

Also remember that the focus points are larger than they appear in the viewfinder http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Canon_6D_AF_points_v31.jpg

Peter - thank you. I will try that. 

Announcements