cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 650D BW photos saved as colour RAW photos

JSuriname
Apprentice

Hello. I have been taking black and white photos on my EOS 650D, however failed to realise that I had been shooting RAW photographs. As such, when saving the photos to my phone they come out as colour photographs unlike the intended shots. When attempting to edit them, further more, they come out largely unlike the desirable originals, at the very least failing to produce its nuisances. 
Any thoughts to rectify this issue would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

You do not mention what software you are using to view the raw images on your phone. You do not mention what software you are using to edit the photos. To get the image that one sees on the camera, one may either set the camera to save raw plus JPEG or one may use the camera menus to save a JPG file from the raw on the camera.

If you have access to a computer, the free to download Canon Digital Photo professional will default to converting the image to black and white using the settings in the camera. Instructions for doing this on the camera are in the section titled "Post-Processing Images". The software built into the camera might be superior to the software in the phone for this purpose.

Any raw file may be converted to black and white. The simplest method is to set the saturation to zero. The camera or Canon DPP software or Apple photos app or darktable or rawtherapee will offer more sophisticated ways to create monochrome images from color data that was captured by the camera.

Announcements