cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 60D AF not triggered by shutter button, won't recognize lens

Eaglesnest
Enthusiast

I aquire a Canon 60D which I plan to use it as a second camera body. However, I noticed that the AF (Lens wss in AF mode) only works by pressing the  AF button at the back of the body.and not by slightly pressing the shutter button.

2. When I attached my EF lens to check, it won't recognize it, with other words it looks blank just like there is no lens attached.

Is the issue just a matter of set up or more serious issue?

Thank you for your help.

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi, I can help with the first one, at least.

The camera, as you describe it, is set up for Back Button Focus - which is my preferred method for getting focus with a camera.   If you have no experience with it, I would recommend watching the following video and considering if it would be worthwhile trying.

So, to make it work, two settings have been changed from the default and you can use the instructions in the video to find the correct option screens.  Referring to the video, you will see that the shutter button has been set to exposure only, whereas the default is focus and exposure.  So, if you really want to change it back that is the one you should choose.  The second function is likely that focus is AI Servo, which will track focus on a subject as long as the focusing function is activated (by shutter button or AF-ON). Finally, the focusing area may be set to single point, centre and you can use the focus select button to change that.  This is all listed in the manual, which you may not have but can download from: eos60d-im3-c-en.pdf (c-wss.com).

I would recommend that when getting a second-hand camera you do a full factory reset, so that everything is set to the default values.  You may also have to check the copyright settings if they have been configured.

As regards the lens. The camera should recognize EF and EF-S lenses. It is possible that a factory reset may help with that, but if not then it would help us to know the exact specs of the lens you are trying to attach.   

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

stevet1
Authority
Authority

Eaglesnest,

Your question is a little confusing. How can you know that the camera is focusing when your press the back button if it's all blank?

Are you talking about two different lenses?

What is the lens you are using when "it looks blank"?

Steve Thomas

normadel
Authority
Authority

WHAT is it that "looks blank"?

Announcements