cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bayer Pattern for EOS Rp Sensor

tstevens83
Apprentice

I have a Canon EOS Rp and wish to know the Bayer pattern of the sensor.  I think it's RGGB but wish to confirm.

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome.

Basically, as I understand it, yes - which is pretty standard. The four elements form a square with the two greens diagonally opposite. 

As the array is scanned the four are reconciled into a colour value. The scan then moves one element down or to one side, and that overlapping scan gives the next RGB value. Thus by over sampling, the processor generates the same number of colour values as photosites.

Tronhard_0-1727140819152.png

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Peter
Authority
Authority

Have you checked if

exiftool -CFAPattern2

works?

Hi Peter, thank for your reply.  I did find a copy of exiftool and tried several different TAGS.  None that I tried would give me the CFA Pattern.  However, it did give me the idea of pulling the raw image file into another program I use ... PixInsight.  When I load the file it says the Bayer Pattern is RGGB.  So it is confirmed.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The only color cameras that don't use the RGGB are the Fuji with the "random" bayer pattern and the Foveon with *no* bayer sensor, since each photosite senses all three colors.

Peter
Authority
Authority

7D has GBRG

Peter_0-1727186362502.png

Peter_1-1727186400411.png

Announcements