cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark IV Missing images from tethered shooting session

ross85
Apprentice

Bit of a strange one, shooting tethered on a two day industrial commercial job, on site, camera is 5D mark IV recently recalibrated and all updated by canon, shooting to Lightroom, all unto date, to Mac laptop running Monterey with lots of power and memory, tethered tools leads, and extreme pro cards from good Uk dealer.

I write raw to both cards and also to laptop folder, all looks good through out the two days viewing images on screen and sometimes on camera as well, this is where it goes odd

returning to base I take one of the card's out of camera and transfer to hard drive to work on images on my iMac, on checking all images I notice I am missing about 2 hours worth of image's from the first day ?, it is the same on the other card, as this is the second time this has happened I didn't panic, thinking they would be on my laptop, in fact they were, BUT 

as I use the abode 1998 colour space preference on the camera my image's have the _N8A- file number on them all, but the missing image's had IMG_0001.CR2 file name, and where the gap was on the cf cards the file numbers went from _N8A4346.CR2. ( captured at 12.13 ) to _N8A4347.CR2 ( captured at 14.47 ) as if I didn't shoot anything for that missing time,

the camera has been back to canon previously and had the main pcb replaced, and checked over

I have a call out to repairs and canon, but everyone is baffled. any help would be appreciated, regards Ross, UK

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@ross85 wrote:

Bit of a strange one, shooting tethered on a two day industrial commercial job, on site, camera is 5D mark IV recently recalibrated and all updated by canon, shooting to Lightroom, all unto date, to Mac laptop running Monterey with lots of power and memory, tethered tools leads, and extreme pro cards from good Uk dealer.

I write raw to both cards and also to laptop folder, all looks good through out the two days viewing images on screen and sometimes on camera as well, this is where it goes odd

returning to base I take one of the card's out of camera and transfer to hard drive to work on images on my iMac, on checking all images I notice I am missing about 2 hours worth of image's from the first day ?, it is the same on the other card, as this is the second time this has happened I didn't panic, thinking they would be on my laptop, in fact they were, BUT 

as I use the abode 1998 colour space preference on the camera my image's have the _N8A- file number on them all, but the missing image's had IMG_0001.CR2 file name, and where the gap was on the cf cards the file numbers went from _N8A4346.CR2. ( captured at 12.13 ) to _N8A4347.CR2 ( captured at 14.47 ) as if I didn't shoot anything for that missing time,

the camera has been back to canon previously and had the main pcb replaced, and checked over

I have a call out to repairs and canon, but everyone is baffled. any help would be appreciated, regards Ross, UK

I believe when shooting tethered the images go directly to the tethered device, bypassing camera storage.

If I understood what you wrote all your images from the tethered shoot are on the computer you were tethered to.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

ross85
Apprentice

Hi John, Thanks for taking the time to reply, however that is not the case, with Canon you can write to both camera and computer and also to two cards, I have been shooting this way successfully for a long time,

I am waiting for a call back from canon support, it's been a week now !

but I have done a bit of investigating, the N8A prefix is unique to my camera,I didn't realise I thought all files where named this coming out of the 5d, and the underscore is become I have set the Adobe colour space, and IMG.. is just short for image, however in one of the deep function there is a file naming option where you could designate a 3 letter prefix to your images if you want, so that is the explanation of the prefixes, but it does not explain why all the images over two day where on my computer folder, and all were on the two cards in the camera all called _N8A... file number, except a hours worth of images missing on cards, but still on computer with a changed prefix to IMG, and then strangely  on the card's carrying on with the numbering sequence, as if nothing has changed, but with just a hour missing from the time line, on time captured, sorry if I am making this confusing as I stated at the start it is a strange one, regards Ross

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I shoot form my 1DX tethered to a Windows laptop with LR CC a whole lot of the time. It is my preferred way to shoot Senior photos at school. It gives the kids a chance to OK their portrait. Many years have gone by and I have never lost an image so I don't really have an answer. I do use an active USB cable. I would certainly suggest you use one too. Second how fast are you shooting? You may be overloading the buffer. I shoot four or five shots and let the kids look at the results, then on to the next student.

I would be concerned by two things you said. One being the MB replaced and two, the file names being different.

I would very first reset the camera back to default. Clear all settings and especially clear all custom settings and go from there. Use it in this factory default state on your next shoot. It could be a simple incorrect setting either forgot about or accidentally set. However you must be at ground zero before any trouble shooting can begin. Let us know.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements