cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 550D What is this piece?

Atheer
Apprentice

I removed the lens to clean the sensor and this piece fell of. I do not know if it fell from the lens or sensor 

My camera is Canon 550DIMG_0164.JPG

14 REPLIES 14

Many consumer lenses are open at the back and it's not uncommon for broken parts to fall out. 

Mike Sowsun

Mike that is a huge chunk of hardware to come out of the back element of a lens!  I have found a site that might be better able to answer this question: Here .

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

That piece may be big, but so is the opening around the rear element on these consumer lenses. 

Here us a video showing disassembly of an 18-55. That part is called the "focusing brush" and can be seen at 9:40 in this video. 

https://youtu.be/xrKbuLHeifw

Mike Sowsun

Wow... You appear to be spot on.  It's much smaller than I thought, even given the image of the OP's hand.  Well, one wonders how that came adrift!   I would suspect it might be cheaper to get a replacement 18-55 (this time an STM version) than to have the lens disassembled and fixed.  Given this has come out, I would guess the lens has had a serious knock at some stage, so the optics might be out too.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

That brush in the original post doesn't look like it came from an 18-55.  I'd be curious to know what lens or lenses the OP has. 

Here are more examples of "brushes".

Screenshot_20221102-123832_Google.jpg

Mike Sowsun
click here to view the gallery
Announcements