cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 40D

Huntergks
Apprentice

I have a Canon A1 with several lens that I would like to use on my EOS 40D.  Does Canon or any other reputable company make an adapter?  If so, where can I purchase one.

Thank you,

George

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Welcome to the forum:

I am not sure if anyone here is going that far back as far as lenses they use on a modern DSLR, but a 30sec search on Google found this:

FD to EF Conversions for Canon FDn Series Lenses

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

normadel
Authority
Authority

There are numerous adapters to mount FD lenses on EOS cameras. A reputable brand is Vello.

The problem is, without going into the technical explanation, is that in order to maintain infinity focus, the adapter has to have an optical element (lens) in it because of body lens flange - to - image plane distance differences. These are all low optical quality and have negative effects on image quality. They are pretty inexpensive, especially the no-names you can find on eBay. Some adapters have removable elements (my Vello does), but if you remove it....no infinity focus.I use mine with an FD-mount 500mm mirror lens. This allows infinity focus because mirror lenses actually focus PAST the infinity point by themselves, so the adapter still gives focus TO infinity.

Legend has it that Canon made a high-quality FD-to-EOS adapter at one time. I've never seen one in the flesh, or for sale anywhere. It was very expensive when new, and  it's said that it would be worth a huge amount of money if you did find one.

I hadn't heard of the mount conversions in the link given by Tronhard. These involve replacing the lens mount entirely, making the lens unusable on FD-mount cameras. And the one I looked at was $146.00. You have to be awfully desperate to use your FD lenses on your EOS camera to spend that. Possibly for a REALLY special lens. Not practical, to me.

You've reached the sensible conclusion.

One handy thing I forgot....If you like to do macro photography, an FD-to-EOS adapter, with optical element removed, does let you mount an EOS body on a macro bellows that has FD lens mounts.. I do this, too. This makes Canon bellows still valuable. You can make use of any FD (or older FL) lens on the front of the bellows, including Canon's fine  macro lenses. There are no EF-mount bellows, unfortunately

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Welcome to the forum:

I am not sure if anyone here is going that far back as far as lenses they use on a modern DSLR, but a 30sec search on Google found this:

FD to EF Conversions for Canon FDn Series Lenses

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I'm not sure if my original response made it but Thanks, I'll check out that site.

George

normadel
Authority
Authority

There are numerous adapters to mount FD lenses on EOS cameras. A reputable brand is Vello.

The problem is, without going into the technical explanation, is that in order to maintain infinity focus, the adapter has to have an optical element (lens) in it because of body lens flange - to - image plane distance differences. These are all low optical quality and have negative effects on image quality. They are pretty inexpensive, especially the no-names you can find on eBay. Some adapters have removable elements (my Vello does), but if you remove it....no infinity focus.I use mine with an FD-mount 500mm mirror lens. This allows infinity focus because mirror lenses actually focus PAST the infinity point by themselves, so the adapter still gives focus TO infinity.

Legend has it that Canon made a high-quality FD-to-EOS adapter at one time. I've never seen one in the flesh, or for sale anywhere. It was very expensive when new, and  it's said that it would be worth a huge amount of money if you did find one.

I hadn't heard of the mount conversions in the link given by Tronhard. These involve replacing the lens mount entirely, making the lens unusable on FD-mount cameras. And the one I looked at was $146.00. You have to be awfully desperate to use your FD lenses on your EOS camera to spend that. Possibly for a REALLY special lens. Not practical, to me.

Huntergks
Apprentice

WOW!!  Thx for all the great info.  Like you, I heard that canon mad an adapter years ago but I never could locate 1.

I have several A1 lenses but the 2 I wanted to use are a Sigma 600mm & a Spiratone 20mm.  I do have a Canon 100-3300mm & it does reach out pretty well.  It sounds like it would be easier, more practical, & more productive to just buy new lenses.

Thx again for all the info.  I appreciate it.

George

You've reached the sensible conclusion.

One handy thing I forgot....If you like to do macro photography, an FD-to-EOS adapter, with optical element removed, does let you mount an EOS body on a macro bellows that has FD lens mounts.. I do this, too. This makes Canon bellows still valuable. You can make use of any FD (or older FL) lens on the front of the bellows, including Canon's fine  macro lenses. There are no EF-mount bellows, unfortunately

Huntergks
Apprentice

Thanks again.  I appreciate it.

Announcements